Barcelona F1 Race

StevenM

We are scheduled to sail on Wonder of the Seas this May from Rome. During our scheduled port stop in Barcelona there will be a Formula 1 Race  going on, does anyone know if Royal Caribbean will do specialized shore excursions for special events like this that will allow you to attend the race for example and then take you back to the ship?

2 hours ago, StevenM said:

We are scheduled to sail on Wonder of the Seas this May from Rome. During our scheduled port stop in Barcelona there will be a Formula 1 Race  going on, does anyone know if Royal Caribbean will do specialized shore excursions for special events like this that will allow you to attend the race for example and then take you back to the ship?

I was wondering the same for some soccer matches, as well. I've looked before and haven't seen anything. You could approach Royal's Private Journey's and see if they can put something together for you. I've not had any success with Private Journeys, as they ALWAYS have come back to say that they don't have a vendor that can do XYZ. XYZ is always fly fishing. Here is the FAQ from Royal: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/topics/private-journeys

I doubt it. Most F1 races start at 3pm local time in Europe. That puts an end time around 4:30-5pm without any delays (and it seems like half the races these days get red flagged...but maybe not on a boring track like Barcelona 🙂 ), which is around when a ship would leave (unless you're doing an overnight stay). Factor in the couple hours it would probably take to get out of Circuit de Catalunya due to traffic and get to the cruise port (which, without traffic, is at least 30 minutes I believe) and the ship is long gone. 

EDIT: I found what I assume is your cruise and it leaves at 6pm. That has you being back on the ship by, I assume, 5:30pm at the latest. No way you could make that with a 3pm start time of the race. Only option is if you wanted to catch back up with the ship the next day in Palma, if it's allowed and if you want to pay for a hotel and flight. Just my recommendation as a huge F1 fan - the Barcelona race isn't worth that, it's a bit of a snooze fest compared to other tracks. 

On 1/24/2022 at 2:10 PM, Zacharius said:

I doubt it. Most F1 races start at 3pm local time in Europe. That puts an end time around 4:30-5pm without any delays (and it seems like half the races these days get red flagged...but maybe not on a boring track like Barcelona 🙂 ), which is around when a ship would leave (unless you're doing an overnight stay). Factor in the couple hours it would probably take to get out of Circuit de Catalunya due to traffic and get to the cruise port (which, without traffic, is at least 30 minutes I believe) and the ship is long gone. 

EDIT: I found what I assume is your cruise and it leaves at 6pm. That has you being back on the ship by, I assume, 5:30pm at the latest. No way you could make that with a 3pm start time of the race. Only option is if you wanted to catch back up with the ship the next day in Palma, if it's allowed and if you want to pay for a hotel and flight. Just my recommendation as a huge F1 fan - the Barcelona race isn't worth that, it's a bit of a snooze fest compared to other tracks. 

You're right it would be cutting it very close. And I agree that Barcelona is a snooze fest most of the time but being I am from California its not often I am in the same city during a race I figured I would try and give it a shot. 

55 minutes ago, StevenM said:

You're right it would be cutting it very close. And I agree that Barcelona is a snooze fest most of the time but being I am from California its not often I am in the same city during a race I figured I would try and give it a shot. 

Oh I get it. But yeah, unless you can (financially and legally) catch up with the ship the next day, it just looks a bit tough. But hey, in 2022 you have TWO grand prix in the US for a change! And of course the Mexican GP. And, who knows, maybe Canada won't be cancelled this year.