Drink package question re $12

bsbrady

I've been thinking about this idea: Instead of buying a drink package, we buy individual wine bottles. Wine starts out at about $33 each. And RCCL allows you to bring on two bottles. So if we go through a bottle a night with dinner, we'd buy an additional 5 bottles for $165. What do you think? Alcohol package for two for $165.

You're correct in that a drink over $12 will cost you only the difference.  This is the same as it was under the old Ultimate package.

Bottles of wine are a bit different, as you'll get a 40% discount on bottles of wine under $100 and 20% off bottles above $100.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been thinking about this idea: Instead of buying a drink package, we buy individual wine bottles. Wine starts out at about $33 each. And RCCL allows you to bring on two bottles. So if we go through a bottle a night with dinner, we'd buy an additional 5 bottles for $165. What do you think? Alcohol package for two for $165.

This would be great if you only want to drink at dinner

Couple of points to add:

• The MDR has a daily special on bottles of wine where select bottles are discounted by 20% ... there's usually at least one white and one red each day. They might not match the varietal or price range you want, but I've had good luck getting something I want. (And of course if you don't finish the bottle they'll keep it for next night).
  • If you bring your allowed two bottles on board, they'll serve it to you in the MDR, but you can also keep it in your room to drink at other times. Personally I enjoy having a glass of wine on the balcony in the afternoon.
  • Don't forget your gold status will get you a pair of two-for-one drink offers (i.e. four drinks for the price of two) -- plus a pair of 10% off single drink offers. On my last cruise we used a 2-for-1 on a couple of $18 glasses of wine in Vintages ... not bad.

On my last cruise we had wine with dinner every night, usually a glass of wine in the afternoon, I had a drink at the show every night, and a few drinks here and there -- I think we average $25pp/day not including the cost of the two bottles I brought onboard at the beginning of the cruise.