FCC Refund?

jrey51

Has anyone had any luck getting a cash refund for a cruise booked with FCC? I saw some rumours online that RCL is giving refunds if people are unhappy with COVID protocols, etc., but haven’t found formal policy.

We are booked for May but will likely have to cancel (combination of reasons), and am hoping for actual refund vs getting FCC again.

Yes.  I was able to get a [nearly] full cash refund for a cruise that had 4 FCC's applied.  This was back in the summer; the cruise was to be in August on Symphony, the cancellation was initiated June 18 and the money was refunded to me some time in September or October (can't remember exactly).

There were some cancellation penalties related to this booking as it was also a L&S, but those penalties were minor compared to the overall refund.  I gladly absorbed them to be fully rid of all of my FCC's AND have the cash-in-hand.

1.  There is NO formal, written policy on getting a cash refund for bookings cancelled using the "COVID protocols" excuse that I am aware of.  The only time I have seen this in writing it was from a Travel Agent memo that came out a few times in the summer and fall.  I haven't seen one recently.  If someone else has better "evidence" than I have, it would be great to see it.  

2.  Since there is no formal written policy for this, and given the very large number of recent cancellations by both the cruise line and cruisers, it is highly understandable (although not ideal) that Royal may have either ceased their willingness to refund in cash for COVID protocols OR they may be being highly selective on which refunds they are granting (i.e., being less willing to refund those paid with FCC's).  I have no way of knowing if either refunds are currently being given or not.  I have heard conflicting tales of both.

3.  When cash refunds WERE being offered, the following was required:

• The booking had to be paid in full (whether that was with cash, FCC's or a combination of both...as was our case)
  • The cruise line had to have issued their COVID protocols for the month of the sailing (I understand your cruise is scheduled for May.  As far as I know, COVID protocols have been issued only through March...so I don't think you would qualify until after COVID protocols have been announced for May).

After both of those conditions are met, you can request that you receive a full cash refund based on your objections or inability to meet, the [then] recently-announced COVID protocols.  

I have to say...I don't think I would have been able to get this done on my own.  I was extremely fortunate to have an excellent TA doing all of this for me.  Today I suspect it would be even more difficult.  Best of luck if you decide to try for the cash refund !!

I’m in the same boat, we have a cruise scheduled for April that is paid with FCCs that were issued back in March 2020.  We aren’t vaccinated and are hoping to get our $3k in cash back.  We’ve also added another child to the family so sailing with an infant is also something we don’t want to do.  I’ll post on here if I’m able to get a refund, April policies aren’t out yet so just waiting on those.