Island tours

arsenio25

Hi,  I"m in process to prepare for my cruise trip to the Caribbean on next Nov 19th aboard of the Adventure of the Seas.  As part fo this preparation we 're trying to scheduled road-trip tours,  with all the options available.  Apart from RC shore excursions, I will like to know if anyone could help me bring me some good information of tours in these island:   St. Maarten, Antigua, St Lucia and Barbados.  Im looking for some less expensive options than RC have it..   Somebody told me about rent a car on these island, but I got some very doubts about it.

Thank you,

Hi,  I"m in process to prepare for my cruise trip to the Caribbean on next Nov 19th aboard of the Adventure of the Seas.  As part fo this preparation we 're trying to scheduled road-trip tours,  with all the options available.  Apart from RC shore excursions, I will like to know if anyone could help me bring me some good information of tours in these island:   St. Maarten, Antigua, St Lucia and Barbados.  Im looking for some less expensive options than RC have it..   Somebody told me about rent a car on these island, but I got some very doubts about it.

Thank you,

Hello Arsenio,

Here's a link that you may find helpful: http://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/. Forget about renting a car, too much risk and aggravation. Good luck!

Personally I have always booked excursions through RCCL (or just walked around in port), but a few people I've shared a table with have simply gone ashore and hired a driver (taxi?) for the day to take them around and it seemed to work for them. On my cruise that included St. Lucia and Antigua I can't remember exactly what they paid, but I think it was somewhere in the $100-$125 range.

I've debated whether or not this is an approach I'd want to take, and I'd be curious if anyone here has experience (good or bad) taking this approach.

I tend to agree with rjac that renting a car isn't the best idea ... really easy for something to go wrong that could keep you from getting back on the ship on time.

We had a group of folks (maybe 6 ?) one time on St. Thomas.  We walked out the gate and hired a van for the day.  No idea what the price was (sorry) but it was a lovely day.

Once in Coz we booked a local snorkeling trip from the vendors in the compound.  $25 PP.  It wasn't the most imaginative location - right offshore near the port, but it was definitely worth $25 PP.

We had a very BAD experience with a local driver in Roatan once...but that was really the only bad experience we have had with local excursions.  The roads were just SOO bad in Roatan and it had been raining so the roads were basically impassable.  We just had the driver take us back to the ship.

Thank you,

For St Lucia my go-to guy is Spencer Ambrose.  http://spencerambrose.com  Except for the mountain climbing, we've literally taken every excursion he offers (and some he no longer does).  I enjoyed the "Spencer's Land, Sea & Beach Adventure" quite a bit.

For Antigua in 2015 we did the powered catamaran that circles the entire island (booked via RC) and in the past we took the helicopter flight over to Montserrat to check out the volcano.  It was pricey (we had no children at the time) but so worth it....