Photocopy of passport

Jlight

I usually do some research on hacks and tips regarding anything I'm about to do which in this case, cruising. I read somewhere that people were copying their passport or taking a picture of it when they go to different ports to avoid losing the real passport. If I was an officer at any port or ship, I wouldn't accept a copy or a photo of a passport but I was wondering if this is something that fellow cruisers do or if it's allowed?

6 hours ago, Jlight said:

I usually do some research on hacks and tips regarding anything I'm about to do which in this case, cruising. I read somewhere that people were copying their passport or taking a picture of it when they go to different ports to avoid losing the real passport. If I was an officer at any port or ship, I wouldn't accept a copy or a photo of a passport but I was wondering if this is something that fellow cruisers do or if it's allowed?

The primary reason to copy your passport is simply to make it easier to apply for a new one if you lose the original.  You keep your picture (and a suitable photo) packed separately from your passport.    What we do instead for Caribbean trips is take our passport card, so we have a second ID that immigration will accept.  That doesn't work for trips to Europe.

The main takeaway:  don't lose your passport, but be prepared to apply for a replacement.