Question for those of you that purchase liquor onboard

CJS2766

Hello all,

Recently returned from our cruise on the Symphony on Oct. 16. While in Cozumel, I purchased a couple of bottles of Tequila. The night before, I got them back from Royal and proceeded to wrap them up and pack them carefully in my suitcase for the flight home. When we got to the Miami airport, I noticed a gentleman with 2 large clear bags and 2 bottles in each. It appeared that he was on a Carnival cruise and purchased those onboard I would assume.

My question is? I thought that you were not allowed to bring liquids over 3 oz. through security? I do not believe he purchased them at Duty Free t the airport, because he was headed to DC like me and that would not qualify for a DF purchase. I asked my friend that is a TSA Agent and he honestly did not know either? Are duty free liquor purchases allowed if wrapped and sealed by them? I would hate to assume this is ok, then I try that and then my bottles would be confiscated.

Silly question, but enquiring minds (ME) want to know! 🤣🤣🤣

Inbound International Flights

You may carry duty free liquids in secure, tamper–evident bags, more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml in your carry-on bag if:

• The duty free liquids were purchased internationally and you are traveling to the United States with a connecting flight.
  • The liquids are packed in a transparent, secure, tamper-evident bag by the retailer and do not show signs of tampering when presented to TSA for screening.
  • The original receipt for the liquids is present and the purchase was made within 48 hours.
  • The items inside the secure, tamper-evident bags must be screened and cleared. Any item that alarms or is unable to be screened will not be permitted in your carry-on bag.

We recommend packing all liquids, gels, and aerosols that are over 3.4 oz or 100 ml in your checked baggage, even if they are in a secure, tamper-evident bag.

From https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/liquids-rule

So he could have purchased within the international airport and be connecting through Miami to DC and be allowed to take the duty-free through TSA because of this exemption.

52 minutes ago, CJS2766 said:

Hello all,

Recently returned from our cruise on the Symphony on Oct. 16. While in Cozumel, I purchased a couple of bottles of Tequila. The night before, I got them back from Royal and proceeded to wrap them up and pack them carefully in my suitcase for the flight home. When we got to the Miami airport, I noticed a gentleman with 2 large clear bags and 2 bottles in each. It appeared that he was on a Carnival cruise and purchased those onboard I would assume.

My question is? I thought that you were not allowed to bring liquids over 3 oz. through security? I do not believe he purchased them at Duty Free t the airport, because he was headed to DC like me and that would not qualify for a DF purchase. I asked my friend that is a TSA Agent and he honestly did not know either? Are duty free liquor purchases allowed if wrapped and sealed by them? I would hate to assume this is ok, then I try that and then my bottles would be confiscated.

Silly question, but enquiring minds (ME) want to know! 🤣🤣🤣

He bought that liquor  at the duty free shop in the airport.