Upgraded our digs for the next cruise

Had a great time on Indy last week! Our next scheduled cruise is Allure on 12/18/2022 out of Galveston, and because it's so far out (I don't think I want to cruise during summer vacation anymore -- TOO HOT, and because we have a school age kid, our options to get away are limited), I decided to upgrade my original booking which was one Central Park balcony and one Ocean View balcony, to a JS that's connected to an Ocean View balcony. It'll be nice to have a tub, and with double points now extended through that sailing date, it'll put us almost to  Emerald. I'm going to keep this a surprise for my family. Moving on up ?

You're correct, it was the first revenue sailing out of Galveston (for RC at least... dunno about Disney and Carnival). Crowds were non-existent. With a capacity of something like 3,400, there were fewer than 1,300 aboard (and like 70 were un-vaccinated kids). Some stuff was not operating, which was a bit of a bummer: no ice skating or skating shows, no laser tag, no escape room. Grease had one performance (the final night) and Windjammer wasn't available for dinner. Embarkation and debarkation couldn't have been easier - in part because of the lack of people, but also the facial recognition at customs is easy-peasy.

Food was great, staff was SUPER HAPPY TO SEE US - our head waiter called the stateroom the day after we opted out of MDR, to see if we were unsatisfied with dinner, haha.  To be honest, it felt like a little bit of a ghost town, BUT... absolutely zero issues with chair hogs around the pool, LOL! It was a nice change of pace, though I think I'd prefer a bit more hustle and bustle onboard, and to have all amenities open and running. The ship is in great shape - it was our first time on her, and we really enjoyed it.