Rough Seas

I know that it doesn't happen on too many occasions, fortunately, but every now and then rough seas cannot be avoided.  In 24 cruises, this has only happened three times and having a low, midship cabin has always helped.  However, it can also add to the experience of rough seas.

Check out this 10 second clip from the Brilliance of the Seas.  We were in a Deck 2 porthole cabin and could figure out what we were hearing until we opened the curtain and looked at what was happening against our window/porthole.

I know there are advantages to lower deck cabins and upper deck cabins but since my Alaskan cruise 5 years ago, I always go higher on deck. We hit a storm where they closed and locked all of the doors to the outside walkways. The ship was pitching and rolling. My friend and I went to deck 5 to look out at the water but it was actually splashing a little on the deck. I have never seen so many people seasick in my life. I don't understand if you know there are rough seas, why would you drink and drink and than be sick.

I know there are advantages to lower deck cabins and upper deck cabins but since my Alaskan cruise 5 years ago, I always go higher on deck. We hit a storm where they closed and locked all of the doors to the outside walkways. The ship was pitching and rolling. My friend and I went to deck 5 to look out at the water but it was actually splashing a little on the deck. I have never seen so many people seasick in my life. I don't understand if you know there are rough seas, why would you drink and drink and than be sick.

What different does it make in a storm if your port hole window is under the wave height? The port holes and windows on these lower decks are 100% water tight. I will agree in a storm you could be looking out a window that is underwater. But the amount of roll on the ship will be much less on these lower decks. Besides no extra charge so the submarine view out your port hole.

What different does it make in a storm if your port hole window is under the wave height? The port holes and windows on these lower decks are 100% water tight. I will agree in a storm you could be looking out a window that is underwater. But the amount of roll on the ship will be much less on these lower decks. Besides no extra charge so the submarine view out your port hole.

I don't know about a submarine view, but I felt like laundry in a front load washing machine.