Sea Shells if not alive (animal removed)

koneill65

My wife collects sand from all the different places we have been to, on one occasion (I think Cozumel of all places) we were stopped and told we could not take sand on board the ship and had to throw out the bag. Could be because sand could have living organisms in it, could be a million reasons .... but we didn't ask just complied and moved on.

I would think a clean dry shell would be no problem though as long as it is not an "endangered species".

From US Customs:

Can I bring seashells, sand, driftwood or other beach mementos into the U.S.?

Seashells are generally allowed into the U.S. if they are not taken from endangered or threatened species (CITES protected), and they are completely sanitized from the creatures that inhabited them, and any other agricultural material such as sand, clay, soil, etc.  A traveler may bring in a reasonable amount of seashells for personal use as a memento of their trip.  Large quantities of seashells being brought into the U.S. for the purposes of using them in crafting, landscaping, or for commercial use are prohibited.

Stones/Pebbles/Sand are generally acceptable in small quantities as long as the item does not present a threat to American agriculture and the harvesting of the item was not detrimental to the any species and/or the environment.

Driftwood is discouraged as pests may have inhabited the wood.  Also some wood is protected.  For example, both the Sonora desert and the Sea of Cortez are protected ecosystems, therefore, it is advised not to pick up mementos from these areas.  Be aware that just because the item is sold in a shop does not make it legal to own - possession of a protected item can subject you to state and/or federal prosecution

All these items must be declared upon arrival to the U.S. Bureau of Customs and Border Protection, on the arrival declaration form.

Contact the Fish and Wildlife Service on whether the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) requires an import permit to bring these items into the U.S.  See CITES Website.  It is recommended that individuals check with the proper foreign government authorities to determine if there are any restrictions under that country's laws pertaining to the exportation of seashells, etc. The U.S. importercan find contact information for proper foreign government authorities at: http://www.cites.org/eng.