I'm back!

Hi everone. I had a great time on Freedom in march...even with poor weather the first few days and skipping cococay. I had been worried about the big size of the ship compared to vision (my only other cruise) but I loved it! The ship never felt crowded and I could eat at chops and sabor every night. I was shocked at how much I enjoyed walking the promenade and grabbing a slice of pizza as a dinner appetizer :)

My experience with the drink pkg was soso. I felt I did a lot of drinking for the sake of drinking, but I did like the freedom of it. I ended up spending a fortune because I felt guilty and added a tip all the time. The next cruise I take I will try and find a happy medium of tipping when I am brought a drink but not when I get it from the bar myself.

3 days after I returned from the cruise I chaperoned a 17 hour bus ride as my high school son went to new york to perform at carnegie hall. I wound up with a blood clot in my leg and blood thinners for 3 months! My first ever cruise with my husband for August was in jeopardy...argh! We are pretty sure we will be able to go, though, so I'm finally letting myself get excited and come back to the blog! Adventure of the seas...here we come!

We are still trying to figure out the excursions and I'm praying my husband won't die from the heat. I think I'm convinced to try the train in st. Kitts as we just can't do 4 beach excursions. Its super expensive but I'm hoping to go cheap on the aruba and curacao days. We will go to st johns for the st thomas day since I was just there in march and did magens. I would love any ideas for the other islands...esp. a resort/beach day in aruba where we can book on our own to save some money. Bobroo was great at telling us about chefs table and I can't wait to do that!

I'm not getting the drink pkg this time...we can take 2 bottles on, we will get AAA champagne in our room and the chef table and 4 days excursions. Just not worth the money!

Looking forward to reading everyones posts and comments on their cruises. Jane

So let me ask a really simple question here. You paid for the cruise fare and had a get cruise, do you think you should call Royal now and say I feel guilty that I only paid the full cruise fare requested, can you charge another $1000 to my credit card? I'm sure you would not do that but you did not think twice about tipping at the bars and you had already tipped the staff in full? What ever happen to a fair days work for a fair days pay? And now you are maybe looking back thing you over tipped the staff. 

Why do so many cruise passengers think it is only a few dollars, and it doesn't really hurt me?  I be happy to take a few dollars from anyone that feels that way, becasue just putting away two dollars a day from age 16 to 66 gives you close to a million dollars. Or put the other way... throwing away wasting only $2.00 a day cost you a million dollars.  We the public need to wake up and see that these staffs are not on US standards, it is not our job to pay them, and the services provided are included within the basic cruise fare. 

Glad you had a great trip mom2mybugs. Really sorry to hear about the blood clots and I hope you are well and truly on the road to a full recovery.

(as for tipping... don't even get me started... being a non american I just don't understand the concept. Pay staff a living wage and then I'll tip for spectacular service... not average service. We don't tip in NZ and service is as good (if not slightly friendlier) than the US in my opinion, I'll tip if I get exceptional service but no one ever expects it and having been a waiter it is a big big big deal if it happens. We of course also got paid a decent wage as a waiter, not brilliant but well above the minimum wage).

(as for tipping... don't even get me started... being a non american I just don't understand the concept. Pay staff a living wage and then I'll tip for spectacular service... not average service. We don't tip in NZ and service is as good (if not slightly friendlier) than the US in my opinion, I'll tip if I get exceptional service but no one ever expects it and having been a waiter it is a big big big deal if it happens. We of course also got paid a decent wage as a waiter, not brilliant but well above the minimum wage).

Because most Americans have been brainwashed into thinking:

1. Tipping results in better service...... It does not.

2. That it is only  a little money.......It is millions saved by the company.

3. That these poor workers are underpaid.... In fact overpaid when compared to wages in most of their home countries. 

4. That tipping is required... Again it is not.

But most Americans also believe that the World revolts around the US Standards.