Adventure Ocean

It varies from ship to ship, but they tend to be fairly strict.but it depends on number of kids in each group and how far from the designated age groups they are.  For instance, on our last cruise, my son was close to the next age group, and they offered to allow him to move up.  We declined, however, since we were going on another cruise this summer and figured he could make the move then.

It doesn't hurt to ask, but be prepared for a "no."

You can certainly ask about letting them combine, but be prepared for it not to happen.

There's a variety of reasons why the age groups are the way they are.  It mostly has to do with maturity levels, the age at which the programming is geared towards and ensuring all kids have a great experience.  

I'm a parent and of course I'd love for my 2 kids to be in the same group, but I respect what RC has set up and my kids make new friends onboard in their AO/Nursery groups and they have a great time.  

What I'm trying to say is, please feel free to ask but if the answer is no, be okay with it. They'll have a great time one way or the other!