Advice for first timer?

Just booked a 5 night cruise on the Empress of the Seas for the Miami-George Town-Key West sailing with my family of five (3 teens, one husband two cabins)  Any tips? Words of caution? Must sees?  I was a little worried when I heard the Empress cancelled early cruises because it's still in dry dock, but guess that it will be ready by July. We've always been intimidated by cruising and too many options, but excited we finally got it figured out! Thanks for any info!

The ship should be completed and out of dry dock. Since they already delayed the end date of the work it should not be done again. You need to remember this ship was sailing cruises within the fleet before the dry dock work. And it will be sailing again soon.

We just sent our daughter and her new husband on a honeymoon cruise, it was the first for both of them on RC (she did a couple carnival with us years ago).  They were both a little nervous.  I wrote up basic instructions for them on how to get to the port, parking, tipping the baggage guys, getting to the windjammer for lunch and where to buy their first drink.  Also, instructed them on getting off the boat. Filling out the customs card and how to present everything to the agent to make sure leaving goes smooth.  I told them everything in between is to have fun.  Read the compass....  Its not rocket science, remember.... You're on vacation... Do what YOU want...

Two very important things to remember.   Don't be late!  They will not let you on the ship if you are late.  They will also not wait for you if you are late coming back to the ship while you are at your port stops (only exception is if you are on a RC excursion) Also make sure you have the correct IDs to get on board.....and most of all.....Have a good time!  Remember .....you can never have too much fun

Hi! You will love cruising on Royal Caribbean - great choice! I actually just got back from a RCCL cruise that visited Key West (Brilliance out of Tampa) and we loved that port! One shore excursion I definitely recommend is the Hop On/Hop Off Trolley- we did Old Town Trolley and it was great for getting an overall tour of the island, plus makes stops at or near all the major tourist sites (Southernmost Point, Hemingway's House, Duval Street, Mallory Square, etc.) You can get on and off as often as you wish throughout the day.

Have a great time! :)

Thanks so much everyone for the tips! Keep them coming! We are very excited. Taking our kids with us they are 19, 16 and 13 (we have two cabins). I think it sounds like they should have enough to do on the days at sea, even if it's a small ship. Glad to have the info on the hop on tour in Key West! Definitely going on the itinerary.