Belize

JulieTrunzo

We are struggling with excursion options in Belize - we have no interesting in the jungle / nature excursions.  Would prefer to just be at a beach - but that is also proving difficult.  Our other thought is to just get off the ship, explore the port area and try to do lunch at a cool local place.  Does anyone have any recommendations of someplace close to port that is a great local bar / restaurant - something unique to the culture of Belize (ie vs something like Senior Frogs type of a place).  Would love any recommendations!  Thanks!

My advice is walk around the port area and scope things out.  

The one time I went to Belize, I did a beach excursion at Goff's Caye, which I did not love.  I think speaking with a taxi driver and getting a quote and some suggestions may be a good bet.  If you don't like what you see/hear, you can just hang out in the port.

Thanks Matt for the info!  Geoff's Caye was one of the places we were looking at - just not convinced it was worth it.  Is there anything to do in the port besides what I am imagining as a "flea market" of local things to buy.  Are there any cool places to eat that would be safe?  Thanks - much appreciated!

Thanks Matt for the info!  Geoff's Caye was one of the places we were looking at - just not convinced it was worth it.  Is there anything to do in the port besides what I am imagining as a "flea market" of local things to buy.  Are there any cool places to eat that would be safe?  Thanks - much appreciated!

I haven't been there yet  - will be visiting next week - but my plans are to do the "Airboat Adventure & Belize City Tour" excursion with my son, and then go to Anna's Lunch Box for lunch.  Anna's is just a local place with good food from what I've read.

The "Tourism Village" as it is called, contains all the standard offerings, jewelry, shirts, etc.  You can do it all in about an hour if you stop in every shop.

The Wet Lizard serves up a good lunch, it is a little touristy as it is inside the walls, but its also got a little of the "local dive" feel.  It also provides "husband day care" (waterfront bar) so the ladies can shop un-bothered ;)

For a flea market experience, you will need to go "outside the wall".  Be warned:  it is quite daunting!  Very agressive, you will be offered "agricultural products" (and more!).