Previous Cruises/ships

My siblings and I love cruising, and we have been doing it for more than 30 years (I'm a little less because I'm younger).  We started a little project to list and then research as many of our cruises as possible.  I found that several of my older ships have been sold off, and one actually sunk.  It is a cool topic for those of us who love cruising.  Anyone have a great old ship stories?

My first cruise was on the Viking Serenade, which was perhaps the ugliest ship ever before the new NCL builds.  Even so, I was hooked and loved the interior touches with the brass, dark woods, formal dining, etc.  This was also where I proposed to my wife nearly 25 years ago.

I notice you've done the Adventure of the Seas 4 times.  I love that ship.  June will be my third sailing on her.  My wife once invited me out for dinner.  She said she would take me to my favorite restaurant... wherever it was.  My answer was that dinner would not cost her a dime because my favorite restaurant was the MDR on the Adventure of the Seas.  Obviously the restaurant has little to do with it!  I really love San Juan and the Southern Caribbean.  In June, we'll go there again with 8 family members who have never been there.

My first cruise was on the Viking Serenade, which was perhaps the ugliest ship ever before the new NCL builds.

I can almost ditto this. My first Royal Caribbean cruise was Viking Serenade, and unlike you, it turned me off from Royal Caribbean. It was far too small for my liking and didn't give me that cruise ship experience that I was looking for.

It wasn't until cruising on Liberty of the Seas many years later that I fell in love with Royal Caribbean.

Our first cruise was on the Song of America, then the biggest cruise ship in the world, in 1986. Balcony cabins didn't exist back then.

We followed that with the Song of Norway in 1987.

Both were traditional cruises with assigned tables and waiters along with a huge extravagant midnight buffet every night! I have some great pictures. Back then you could also drive golf balls and shoot skeet off the back of the ship!

The Song of America is still out there with another name. The Song of Norway was scrapped a few years ago.

We were also on the Viking Serenade which was designed to carry two decks of cars along with passengers. When RCI bought it, they converted the car decks to passenger space. It was called the Star Dancer with Admiral cruises before RCI bought it.