suites

ok cruise veterans,, Question time

Im getting a bit confused by all the Suite names.  I'm seeing Grand Suite, Junior Suite, Royal Suite, Owners Suite, Grand Royal Suite, and on & on.

The Junior Suite looks like its also designed for just 2 people, but a bit bigger than the usual balcony stateroom.  The question is which of all those other Suites would be the least expensive option that offers separate bedrooms for 2 couples ?  

In order get 2 truely separate bedrooms you would have to go to a family suite and those vary by the ship class. We had the royal family suite on the Explorer a few years back and it has 2 separate bedrooms...just realize that for most of these family suites, the second b'room is typically much smaller than the "master" b'room b/c it is designed as a space for additional family members (children or young adults).

I think there might be some larger second b'rooms on the Q class ships but I haven't been on one so I am not certain about that.

I guess it depends on whether your goal is to be in a suite or to have 2 couples share accommodations for the best price. If the former is true, and you don't mind having non-equivalence in b'room size, then one of the family suites should work for you. They are quite large, overall. If the latter is the case and you would want the b'room sizes to be comparable, then I honestly believe that going with adjoining balcony rooms would work out the best UNLESS you MUST have a suite. Then it's probably going to be available only on the high end Q class family suites. Even the 2 b'room Aqua Theater Suites on the O class have a smaller second b'room.

I agree with WAAAYTOOO. cost and comfort, I think it makes more sense to do two balcony cabins. We have some very good friends and family members that we love to cruise with, but being able to relax in our own space is a large part of our cruise experience. If having the extra perks from staying in a suite is important, the Grand suite is the least expensive and although it doesn'thave two bedrooms it has a full curtain separator giving some sense of privacy?

...and you are absolutely right about the "common" space of the Grand suites and larger.  There IS a lot of space for hanging out.  If the bedroom sizes don't matter to you then I think the Family suite would be very adequate.  We had way more space than we needed in the Royal Family suite (of course, there were just 2 of us so the second BR was just a place to put our luggage !) and the balcony has a full size table so eating out on the balcony was wonderful.

It really is a matter of equivalence of bedroom size.  If it doesn't matter....you're good...but I can see where "splitting" the cost of a big suite just to be stuck in a closet sized bedroom would not make me a happy camper.  Just sayin'