Water park cococay minimum age

JoeFan

@JoeFan,

I know this gives you no relief, but if you look on the page under important notes it states, that anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.  In essence, they informed you of this before you hit the check out.

I don't know about the rules of Disney, but think about it  this way.  You decide to stay on the ship, your 17 yo gets hit in his head in the wave pool, your 15 yo cannot give consent, nor can your 17 yo for medical treatment.  That means they have to find you on the ship, and get you to the area before they can give medical attention by law, since neither one are consider legal adults.

Don't think that doesn't happen? It did to our daughter when we were in Disney at their water park.  She was 8.  A strong swimmer (learned to swim before she was 3, and lived at the pool all summer, everyday).  She was in the wave pool, with her siblings and Dad.  Nervous Mom always stayed at the edge watching for all of them to POP UP.  She hit the wall with her head, huge gash.  I was in the water before my husband could get to her, because obviously they get separated with the waves, and all he saw was me running into the water.    I pulled her out and got her to a medic.  They put multiple butterfly bandages on her forehead and a bag of ice to take down the swelling.   Disney placed a band on her wrist which meant she could no longer go on any slides, or activities.   

Now think about it from that perspective.  It really is for the safety of your children in the G forbid scenario.  I am sure they have some communication system to connect with the ship, and they can call your name off the intercom system, however, I recall when we were on the Anthem, you could not here any loud speaker announcements in our cabin,.  I am sure they can also do that also across Coco Cay, but what if you decide to do the swimming with pigs excursion which is a 90 minute by boat excursion, or the kayak excursion, again 90 mins. Logistically, it would be a nightmare and a lawsuit waiting to happen because they allowed your kids under 18 to go into the water park without an adult.

FWIW,  there are many flaws in their system.  The biggest is you could bite the bullet, pay the money, walk in with them, and than walk out 10 mins later and hang at the beach.    Sorry.

I didn’t know this until today when I read it on a forum. I was able to assign this to both kids and there was no warning and no Acknowledgment. 

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/parks/minimum-age/

If all they really cared about was security then they could give you a non-rider wrist band and let you enter the park with them. No harm, no foul.

it is a flawed system for sure. There is nothing from a parent hanging at the bar or falling asleep on a chair and not watching their much much younger child. 

Its simple. I am not going to pay the $60 tax. And I am canceling the water park and zip line and the balloon for the 4 of us and I am canceling the beach bed. $500 in revenue gone. 

35 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

@JoeFan,

I know this gives you no relief, but if you look on the page under important notes it states, that anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.  In essence, they informed you of this before you hit the check out.

I don't know about the rules of Disney, but think about it  this way.  You decide to stay on the ship, your 17 yo gets hit in his head in the wave pool, your 15 yo cannot give consent, nor can your 17 yo for medical treatment.  That means they have to find you on the ship, and get you to the area before they can give medical attention by law, since neither one are consider legal adults.

Don't think that doesn't happen? It did to our daughter when we were in Disney at their water park.  She was 8.  A strong swimmer (learned to swim before she was 3, and lived at the pool all summer, everyday).  She was in the wave pool, with her siblings and Dad.  Nervous Mom always stayed at the edge watching for all of them to POP UP.  She hit the wall with her head, huge gash.  I was in the water before my husband could get to her, because obviously they get separated with the waves, and all he saw was me running into the water.    I pulled her out and got her to a medic.  They put multiple butterfly bandages on her forehead and a bag of ice to take down the swelling.   Disney placed a band on her wrist which meant she could no longer go on any slides, or activities.   

Now think about it from that perspective.  It really is for the safety of your children in the G forbid scenario.  I am sure they have some communication system to connect with the ship, and they can call your name off the intercom system, however, I recall when we were on the Anthem, you could not here any loud speaker announcements in our cabin,.  I am sure they can also do that also across Coco Cay, but what if you decide to do the swimming with pigs excursion which is a 90 minute by boat excursion, or the kayak excursion, again 90 mins. Logistically, it would be a nightmare and a lawsuit waiting to happen because they allowed your kids under 18 to go into the water park without an adult.

FWIW,  there are many flaws in their system.  The biggest is you could bite the bullet, pay the money, walk in with them, and than walk out 10 mins later and hang at the beach.    Sorry.

I am fine with your examples but don't paint me to be a bad parent. But they are mostly excuses to fit a bad policy.

How old are kids allowed to roam a cruise ship alone? I read some parents let 11 & 12 year olds freedom on a ship.

I would be much more nervous about that. Maybe them falling overboard or dragged into a predators cabin. I NEVER left my kids alone on a cruise ship.

When we take them to Six Flags water park, we camp out in the same spot and they go off to do the slides by themselves together. And we just got back from a week at Disney and we were together the entire time except for one time my 15 year old didn't want to ride Tower of terror. So my wife walked him to the gift shop at the exit and the 3 of us rode.

There is absolutely no reason why a parent should have to pay to drop a 15 and 17 year old child at the water park. I get maybe sending them off the ship themselves. But really.

Time out, I never meant to paint you as a bad parent.  I was just saying...this could be some scenarios, and injuries do happen.  I have seen many a  tweener running around the pool deck by themselves with no parent insight.

I am not passing any judgement.  If you felt that way, than my apologies.  That is a problem when you deal with social media...you can't read intonation, or have the ability to explain in more depth.