What time to check in? First time cruiser

Nat

We will be cruising for the first time to Alaska! Our ship (Ovation) will depart at 4:00pm from Seattle. What time should we go to the port? We are in GS and have access to coastal kitchen. From reading some suggested that we can have lunch on ship. Should we arrive before noon and are we allowed wonder around the ship after lunch? Can kids (13 year old) check out and play in the teens room early? We will be in Seattle a week prior to the embarkation day and I suspect we will be ready to board the ship as soon as they let us!

14 minutes ago, Nat said:

What time should we go to the port?

11am

14 minutes ago, Nat said:

Should we arrive before noon and are we allowed wonder around the ship after lunch?

You can arrive earlier than noon and wander the ship. Also some dining venues may open before posted times on embarkation day.

15 minutes ago, Nat said:

Can kids (13 year old) check out and play in the teens room early?

Yes, there will be an open house for Adventure Ocean and Teens Club in the early afternoon. This allows for registration and to meet counselors. No formal activities, but kids are free to hang out with their parents in the space.

I normally arrive really early (10:30 or so) as I’d rather wait nearby than at my hotel. When you’re near the first onboard there’s time to wander and get pictures of the venues before everyone else gets there. As I’m not a breakfast person I’d also rather an early lunch than any breakfast. 

1 hour ago, Nat said:

Thank you! Can we drop off our luggage and wonder around hands free once we have checked in? Is coastal kitchen open for lunch on the embarkation day?

Coastal Kitchen was open on Anthem for embarkation day, so I would assume it will be the same on Ovation.  You will have to keep your carry-on luggage with you until staterooms are ready.

You will get an email from the concierge prior to cruising.  You can reply that email and ask about the times for Coastal Kitchen on embarkation day.

7 minutes ago, Nat said:

Can we check in all luggage and only keep one or two backpacks with us while waiting for the stateroom to be ready?

There is no limit to baggage on cruising.  You can check whatever you feel comfortable with.  Most folks keep anything valuable and whatever they may need for their first day of cruising.