Overnight in Bernuda

Christie

Thanks to Matt's periscopes, I'm now looking at a 5 night anthem of the seas to Bermuda. It's embark- sea day- Bermuda- Bermuda- sea day- debark. Sounds like the perfect cruise to me and an awesome ship to boot.

Never been to Bermuda before. Any tips on things there? When the ship stays in port overnight, is there a certain time you have to be back on the boat at night? Would love any thoughts on this itinerary. It will be for our 3rd anniversary and we will be leaving the almost 2 year old at home.

I hope it doesn't violate any of Matt's non-existent rules ;), but here's a link to my other travel guru Rick Steves's podcast wherein he discussed Bermuda. It might give you a bit of background on Bermuda.

http://podbay.fm/show/79063354/e/1125806400?autostart=1 (starts at the 33-minute mark)

I hope that helps a little.

Thanks to Matt's periscopes, I'm now looking at a 5 night anthem of the seas to Bermuda. It's embark- sea day- Bermuda- Bermuda- sea day- debark. Sounds like the perfect cruise to me and an awesome ship to boot.

Never been to Bermuda before. Any tips on things there? When the ship stays in port overnight, is there a certain time you have to be back on the boat at night? Would love any thoughts on this itinerary. It will be for our 3rd anniversary and we will be leaving the almost 2 year old at home.

When you stay overnight, there is no curfew or time to be back.  You can come and go as you please. Think of it as a floating hotel.

THE thing to do in Bermuda is Horsehoe Bay.  It's a beautiful pink and beach and can be reached via bus or taxi (bus is much cheaper).

You can also visit the cities of Hamilton and Fort George.  Great culture there too!

I hope it doesn't violate any of Matt's non-existent rules

Not at all Scott.  If there is a link outside my site that is helpful, I absolutely encourage you to post it.  I'm not delusional to think my site is the end-all, be-all destination of all travel info (not yet anyway), so there is no problem sharing helpful links! :)

Not at all Scott.  If there is a link outside my site that is helpful, I absolutely encourage you to post it.  I'm not delusional to think my site is the end-all, be-all destination of all travel info (not yet anyway), so there is no problem sharing helpful links! :)

I didn't think so, which is why I went for it. You're a benevolent leader. :D Plus, it's Rick Steves - a totally different product. Speaking of, do you travel on land ever? I always wonder about frequent cruisers - how do they have the time and/or money for other travels if they're cruising so much? We have to keep our cruising down to 1-2 per year, tops, to be able to afford a travel experience on land once a year. Some people seem to cruise every month!

I didn't think so, which is why I went for it. You're a benevolent leader. :D Plus, it's Rick Steves - a totally different product. Speaking of, do you travel on land ever? I always wonder about frequent cruisers - how do they have the time and/or money for other travels if they're cruising so much? We have to keep our cruising down to 1-2 per year, tops, to be able to afford a travel experience on land once a year. Some people seem to cruise every month!

Sounds like a new thread to start, Scott. Might also be s good podcast episode.

I'm sure it depends on where you go, of course....but the reason that I continually come back to cruising is that I just cannot get the same result for the same money on land. I've tried many times to do something different but for what you get - the service and choices - I just can't get the same value on a land-based vacation. Believe me, I've tried.

I'd agree that I'd not do a resort like something all-inclusive in the Caribbean or Disney, etc., but it's hard to really get into some Asian or European country in depth in just the few hours alloted. We've tried to merge cruising with exploration, but we just can't seem to make it fit.

This is where careful selection of you itinerary is needed. We did Norway because of long Piet stops and an overnight in Iceland. Next year, we have overnights in Russia, Sweden, and Copenhagen which really helps with touring.

I agree that $100+/-/night/person is very hard to beat with all that's included in cruise, if not impossible. I need to stay at some agritourism places and B&Bs, with low cost eating, to make it work, price wise. But, overnight is not what I have in mind when I think of exploration. Perhaps in countries that I have less interest, I might be able to pull that off. Anyway, this is the dilemma. But again, there's no question when it comes to Sandals, et al - cruises win every time!

I love love love cruising in Europe.  You do all of your travel while you're sleeping, you don't have to pack a bag all the time to move to the next place, and there's always American food on board if you need it :-)

Can't argue with that logic!

I've been to Bermuda 3 times, though not in many years. One unique thing that was not to be missed was renting a moped. They can be rented relatively affordably for multiple days. With no crime in Bermuda at all, folks would just leave their moped/helmet wherever and for however long and it would remain untouched til returning. Bermuda is a small island, approx 20 (?) miles or so long so it was nothing to do a beautiful ride to the end of the entire island and back. There's an old "prison" at the other end. One thing to remember, Bermuda being a British island, you need to specify COLD beer when ordering lol. I so can't wait to get back there. As I've mentioned to Matt previously, I sure wish they'd do a full 7 day cruise from Bayonne, giving you 4 full days in Bermuda. It's that beautiful. Matt is correct, Horseshoe Bay and Elbow Beach are unbelievably beautiful.

We haven't thrown European cruises out just yet, so don't go exiling me! ;)

We're thinking of doing a fjords trip out of Southampton. I don't really care much about the fjords, so that would be a good test. The Queen wants to go to Alaska, but we've learned that the fjords gives you more of the nature, more of the northern lights, more of the animals, and just plain more of everything, so going to the fjords would kill two birds with one stone - her nature cruise and our test of a Euro cruise.

We haven't thrown European cruises out just yet, so don't go exiling me! ;)

We're thinking of doing a fjords trip out of Southampton. I don't really care much about the fjords, so that would be a good test. The Queen wants to go to Alaska, but we've learned that the fjords gives you more of the nature, more of the northern lights, more of the animals, and just plain more of everything, so going to the fjords would kill two birds with one stone - her nature cruise and our test of a Euro cruise.

It is very similar to Alaska, but much more expensive. Whatever cruise you choose, you MUST go the Gerainger and do a RIB tour. Also, seeing the Northern Lights is only possible if you go far north and into the fall, which is when many of the ships are returning to the US.