Adventure Ocean Question

Also, for the late-night option (paid $7/kid/hour), has anyone ever done this? My kids are 5 and 8 so if we did it would only be one night if DH and I wanted to go the club or just stay out late. My worry is that they would just fall asleep, they'd be so tired! Do they have places for kids to crash? Is that normal for the late-night hours (kiddos falling asleep at Adventure Ocean?)

I was going to ask the same questions and 3 others so I’ll add them here.  

1. Do kids have to stay the entire session or can I drop my 7 year old off for just an hour or 2?

2.  Do they take the kids to the pool or splash zone at all or are they in the same room the entire time?

3. Can I get all weeks kids compasses on the first day?  I would like to be able to plan stuff I want to do, with when I will drop her there.  Several of the activities I see in the Royal app are offered on several diff days and if I knew they were doing something fun on one of the days for kids then I could figure out which day to do my activity. 

41 minutes ago, MorganMichelle2001 said:

When you drop your kids at Adventure Ocean, do they give you some type of pager? do they ask you where you will be on the ship? Or require a specific pick-up time? How would they get in touch with the parents if the kids were sick or wanted to leave? 

I don’t know for sure but my friend just got back from a harmony cruise and brought me back a few of the kids daily planners.  On it is the phone number to contact the Explorers room (ages 6-8), so it sounds like if your kids wanted to leave they would just call you.  Here were the session times, I’m not sure if you have to drop them at the beginning or at any time during the session.  It did say they have 1 person for 25 kids and they fill up.  We’re going in April over spring break so maybe they will have 2 people then.  I can’t see my daughter wanting to stay long with 2 adults and 50 kids though.

CF12967A-F573-4C34-9158-FF053CFF066C.jpeg

17 minutes ago, LindaN said:

2.  Do they take the kids to the pool or splash zone at all or are they in the same room the entire time?

I DO NOT think they take them to the pool deck at all. I have seen somewhere that maybe they take them to the theater or possibly the arcade and definitively to the Windjammer if  they are staying for lunch/dinner. I also think you get the kids compass for the whole week on Day 1. 

4 hours ago, MorganMichelle2001 said:

When you drop your kids at Adventure Ocean, do they give you some type of pager? do they ask you where you will be on the ship? Or require a specific pick-up time? How would they get in touch with the parents if the kids were sick or wanted to leave? 

No, you won't be given a pager.  And they don't ask where you'll be but I'm sure they can figure it out if you swipe your seapass card at a bar.  AO is free until 10 pm so there will be a long pick up line just before then.  You can always call up there if you want to check on your child.

3 hours ago, LindaN said:

1. Do kids have to stay the entire session or can I drop my 7 year old off for just an hour or 2?

3. Can I get all weeks kids compasses on the first day?  I would like to be able to plan stuff I want to do, with when I will drop her there.  Several of the activities I see in the Royal app are offered on several diff days and if I knew they were doing something fun on one of the days for kids then I could figure out which day to do my activity. 

You can drop off and pick up as you desire.  The free hours are 9-12, 2-5pm and 7-10 pm.  They are closed for 2 hours around lunch and dinner.  After hours with a fee begin at $10pm.  Port days the hours are around 9-5 (depends on when exactly the ship will be in port).  They will get your child lunch if you leave them there while on an excursion.

2.  No they will not go to the pool.  You can imagine the liability.  If your ship has a theater then they can go there.  I don't think I've ever seen my kids go to the arcade although I think there was a scavenger hunt for the 9-11yos once.  I think I had to give permission to participate in that.

5 hours ago, MorganMichelle2001 said:

No pager, they have your phone number and they can find you based on your card. 

They did not ask where we were going. 

You need to pick up at the end of each session unless they are signed up for a meal with the club and you need to sign them up for that ahead of time.

Phone number

5 hours ago, MorganMichelle2001 said:

Also, for the late-night option (paid $7/kid/hour), has anyone ever done this? My kids are 5 and 8 so if we did it would only be one night if DH and I wanted to go the club or just stay out late. My worry is that they would just fall asleep, they'd be so tired! Do they have places for kids to crash? Is that normal for the late-night hours (kiddos falling asleep at Adventure Ocean?)

We used the late night option 2 or 3 times. 

They probably won't fall asleep because they will be playing fun games with other kids and the staff. 

They do have mats for them to crash on if they want.

4 hours ago, LindaN said:

You can pick them up before the session is over.

No water activities but they may go other places.  Our daughter didn't because she only went after dinner then for late night.

You will get the week's kids' compass on the first day.  Extras by the guest service desk through the week.

We found they schedule was very general and we couldn't count on any one activity.

Another item of note is they played games and got prizes each late night.  My daughter got some nice items for free from the staff each late night.  The hourly fee is very reasonable plus she got free stuff, not a bad deal.

18 hours ago, MorganMichelle2001 said:

When you drop your kids at Adventure Ocean, do they give you some type of pager?

Generally no. The only time they do is if the staff feels there may be a good reason to, like the child is apprehensive about going in or some other special need. In my experience, I think we've only ever gotten pagers from Aquanauts.

do they ask you where you will be on the ship?

Generally not. I can't recall that being the case.  If they want to find us, I'm sure they can.

Or require a specific pick-up time?

Never heard that, other than after 10pm you will be charged hourly for after hours

How would they get in touch with the parents if the kids were sick or wanted to leave?

First step is they leave a voicemail on stateroom phone.  This has happened a half dozen times. In all those cases, we were never at the room to get the call or message.

If it remains an issue, or escalates, then I believe you might be paged.  They do know your dining info if they need to track you down in a restaurant.

18 hours ago, LindaN said:

Do kids have to stay the entire session or can I drop my 7 year old off for just an hour or 2?

They can stay for as little as long as you want.

Do they take the kids to the pool or splash zone at all or are they in the same room the entire time?

Other than meals, they never leave the room

Can I get all weeks kids compasses on the first day?  

I bet you can if you ask. I've never tried, but I think it rarely changes anyway.