ST. Thomas snorkeling

LindaN

We want to go on a boat and snorkel excursion in St. Thomas, there are so many to choose from.  It will be my daughter’s first time snorkeling.  Which excursion takes us to the best place?  If you have been on any snorkel excursions there tell me what you liked or didn’t like on any?  

45 minutes ago, rjac said:

How old is your daughter, is she a good swimmer and will there be anyone else from the family snorkeling with her? I may have a recommendation for you. :27_sunglasses:

She’s 7 and a great swimmer.  She can go the entire length of our pool underwater the entire time.  My husband and I will be with her snorkeling.   

1 hour ago, LindaN said:

She’s 7 and a great swimmer.  She can go the entire length of our pool underwater the entire time.  My husband and I will be with her snorkeling.   

Ok, sounds great! We have been to St. Thomas a couple of times and have booked the RCI " St.Thomas Secret Sands Beach Break" excursion.  I don't remember the name of the beach, but it is one of their (St. Thomas) national parks. Not crowded, clean bathroom/shower/changing facility and fantastic beach/water with shade if you like. In the past, there has been a young man, Kareem, who meets the open air excursion bus and takes you to a reserved area with free beach loungers. He has free beer, rum punch, water, soft drinks, snacks and snorkel gear. All he asks for is a tip before you leave, very low pressure and laid back local entrepreneur. He will also gladly take photos of you with your camera/smart phone. From the beach a short swim (about 50') will put you on a shallow (8'-10') grass covered sand bar. It is inhabited by a ton of the local colorful tropical fish as well as some green sea turtles. Don't be surprised if you swim over a sting ray or two swimming out or swimming back. Don't worry, they are down in the sand and not interested in snorkelers!  Last April I had my two grand kids with us, ages 8 & 13. The 8 year old is not a good swimmer at all, in fact, I call what he does is a controlled drown!  For that reason I brought a personal flotation device for him, which worked out tremendously. They were absolutely thrilled with that snorkeling experience. 

Check this excursion out in your cruise planner, hope this helps! :27_sunglasses:

Thank you for this information about the Secret Sands excursion @rjac! This is something I have booked for May and you just made me all the more excited about it. And I believe the beach it goes to has a couple names including Smith Bay and Lindquist Beach. I became interested in it when I saw the beach listed in the top 20 list of Best Beaches in the World by Condé Nast about a year ago. 

We will be on Adventure of the Seas and in St Thomas on Christmas Day. This excursion is not available - at least not yet. Our daughter will be 9 and is a great swimmer.  We will both be in the water with her.   there is St John Trunk Bay beach and Snorkel, a couple that take you to Buck Island, Sapphire beach Snorkeling and Island drive and the Pirates of St Thomas - Sail, Snorkel and beach - Pirates Cove and Dinghy's Beach Bar.

13 minutes ago, Pamp said:

St John Trunk Bay beach and Snorkel

Trunk Bay Beach is incredibly beautiful! However, there is a ferry ride involved (takes about 30-40 minutes), then transport from the ferry dock to the beach. You may end up spending more transport time than time on the beach. I recommend a call to Royal and ask if the Secret Sands Beach Getaway will be available. Since it is Christmas Day, it may not be. Most of the Caribbean Islands are strict about observing religious holidays. :27_sunglasses: