Is my cruise considered as leaving the USA and entering back with new entry?

Nita

Hello!
I am a Cambodian citizen and will arrive in the USA for my Navigator of the Sea cruise with a B1/B2 tourist visa limited to 2 entries.
My cruise is the Zumba Cruise https://www.zumba-cruise.com/ from 24th to 29th March.
I would like to know if taking this cruise will count as second entry when I return back to the port of Miami. Is taking this cruise considered as leaving the USA and entering back with immigration?  It's a close loop with only two stops at Labadee and Freeport.
Thank you for your help!

Welcome to the message boards.

I think you may be asking a question pushing the bounds of our collective wisdom.  This is a forum of random users who are not Royal Caribbean employees and this site is not operated by Royal Caribbean.  Understand that when you consider any advice offered here.

There are a lot of nuances to immigration and your country of citizenship may play a role.  Ultimately I'd suggest you seek professional assistance or discuss the matter with the United States Customs and Border Protection agency (CBP).   

My limited understanding of US immigration suggests that taking a cruise, closed loop or otherwise is no different than taking an airplane and leaving the United States then returning to the United States days later.  You would be arriving from outside of the United States no different than a plane landing at a US airport from somewhere international.  All cruise ship passengers are effectively processed by CBP when they arrive back to the US after the cruise.  

If you were in the United States and decided to fly to Haiti or the Bahamas for the weekend, then fly back to the United States would that count as a second re-entry to the United States?  To me it sounds like it would and a cruise would be no different.  

Any time a VISA holder enters the country at any port of entry you will need all supporting documentation that is required to support the VISA that you possess.

4 hours ago, Nita said:
Hello!
I am a Cambodian citizen and will arrive in the USA for my Navigator of the Sea cruise with a B1/B2 tourist visa limited to 2 entries.
My cruise is the Zumba Cruise https://www.zumba-cruise.com/ from 24th to 29th March.
I would like to know if taking this cruise will count as second entry when I return back to the port of Miami. Is taking this cruise considered as leaving the USA and entering back with immigration?  It's a close loop with only two stops at Labadee and Freeport.
Thank you for your help!

The short answer, instead of the above song and dance, is yes. You entered the U.S. to board your cruise and since you left on a cruise and returned, it is considered a second entry into the U.S. You can always double-check with visa officials but I'm almost 100% certain.

This is a $1000 question for me because after the cruise I’m flying to Mexico before going back to Los Angeles a week later to board my return plane home. ?

If I can’t enter back to LAX to board my plane I will need to buy a one-way ticket from Mexico ???

I’m waiting an answer from the cruise company, it can go both ways as I am not leaving the USA for another destination, it’s a Miami - Miami cruise with a stop on two beaches ?

BDD72274-3008-4542-B474-40DA456B0434.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Nita said:

This is a $1000 question for me because after the cruise I’m flying to Mexico before going back to Los Angeles a week later to board my return plane home. ?

If I can’t enter back to LAX to board my plane I will need to buy a one-way ticket from Mexico ???

I’m waiting an answer from the cruise company, it can go both ways as I am not leaving the USA for another destination, it’s a Miami - Miami cruise with a stop on two beaches ?

BDD72274-3008-4542-B474-40DA456B0434.jpeg

If it's a connecting flight through LAX, also known as a transit passenger, you don't need an extra entry visa, but if you have an overnight stay or visit in Los Angeles, most likely you will. You can always double-check with visa officials.

@Nita  All the answers above are good ones and from frequent cruises. But in the end i think the cruise line itself is the one who will truly know this answer. I know that when we travel from the US as US citizens there is very little done in Mexico, Belize, and other Caribbean islands regarding our passports beyond a cursory glance.  But then our passports do not list limits of any kind. I do know that when we sail from Canada, our passports are checked mor carefully and declarations required coming and going from the airport plus disembarking from the ship. Our  passports were also checked officially (but quickly, on the bus) when we visited the Yukon Territory (CA) from Alaska (although I don’t recall them being checked in the other direction). 

All that is to say it’s quite possible that it will count as a 2nd entry, but then many of us would not have traveled (at least often) with the type of limitation on the travel. Whether officials take a longer look at your passport vs. the brief glance is almost impossible to know (although no doubt that it will get more scrutiny in the US than in the Caribbean). I hope that someone at the cruise line can help you to be certain and also that you enjoy your cruise (since sorry can spoil everything). 

Thank you all for your comments!

I do not mind at all the scrutiny of my passport and visa ? 

When I will arrive at Los Angeles airport, the immigration will stamp "admitted" my passport with the mention 1/2. I was planing after the cruise to spend a few days in Cuba, then Mexico and fly to Los Angeles to catch my return flight home. All tickets are paid.

BUT if the immigration at the cruise arrival stamps my passport admitted 2/2, I will not be able to fly to Los Angeles to catch my plane. ? That's why it's a big concern for me, I just want to enjoy the cruise and my holidays and come back home... 

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/74/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/non-united-states-citizen-travel-documentation

I agree with @twangster and check with CBP about your specific question.  None of us know the answer and I wouldn't assume RC would know the exact answer either.  

6 hours ago, melski94 said:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/74/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/non-united-states-citizen-travel-documentation

I agree with @twangster and check with CBP about your specific question.  None of us know the answer and I wouldn't assume RC would know the exact answer either.   

Simply incorrect information. CBP has nothing to do with the issuance of visas. To get the most direct answer, contact USCIS Contact Center via online or phone or your best bet is to contact the U.S. Consulate in Cambodia which is your best bet as you will get all the answers you need before you leave Cambodia on your trip at:

• Telephone: (855 23) 962 530  (for Nonimmigrant Visas)
  • Email: We cannot take phone calls from individuals inquiring about visa cases. Please send your visa inquiries to the following emails:
    • Nonimmigrant Visas: [email protected]
    • Immigrant Visas: [email protected]
      Please include the words “IV Inquiry” and your case number (which begins with the letters “PHP” followed by ten digits) in the subject line.

FYI - The differences between Customs and Border Protection (CBP) AND Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS):

United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is responsible for protecting our nation's borders in order to prevent terrorists and terrorist weapons from entering the United States, while facilitating the flow of legitimate trade and travel.

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is responsible for the administration of immigration and naturalization adjudication functions and establishing immigration services policies and priorities.

Hopefully, the above information will help you and clear up any questions you or anyone else may have. Have a great trip!! ?