How Fast is Abyss?

WannaCruise

Going on Symphony is 2 weeks. So excited!

The Abyss looks like tons of fun but debating if I can go on it, or if I should skip it.  It's not because of fear, but I had eye issues a few years ago and need to be careful on things like roller coasters that have a quick acceleration or gravitational changes.  For some reference, I avoid full fledged roller coasters with a big drop, but have been on say Big Thunder at Disney which is more swoops and turns rather than quick drops.  Have also been on Radiator Springs Racer which does go fast (but small hills).  Or if things will be knocking my head around I need to be careful.

So I know Abyss is different but seems like a steep slide.  Does it go very quick or have big gravity changes?  Or is it calmer than it looks?

Just now, Matt said:

In my opinion, the Abyss is a lot slower and smoother than I thought it would be.  It's not a full drop, just a bunch of turns.

I'd probably defer to your doctor than some guy on the internet.

Thank you.  That is great to hear. 

Yeah, I did ask, but honestly him at my last appointment but it was hard to describe as I don't know what the slide is actually like.  He did say that waterslides should be ok as long as my head doesn't bump, and even roller coasters don't have a black and white answer.  So just trying to get an idea of speed and drops of the Abyss.

I was kind of looking forward to the Abyss on our May 2019 cruise on Symphony but I watched this one review where the guy (said he was 6'2" and weighed 225) said it was a tight fit for him and he felt claustrophobic in it. I am 6' tall and weigh 280 and I'm also prone to claustrophobia so I think I may be avoiding this experience. I will definitely take a look though and make my own opinion.

1 hour ago, kontraxed said:

I was kind of looking forward to the Abyss on our May 2019 cruise on Symphony but I watched this one review where the guy (said he was 6'2" and weighed 225) said it was a tight fit for him and he felt claustrophobic in it. I am 6' tall and weigh 280 and I'm also prone to claustrophobia so I think I may be avoiding this experience. I will definitely take a look though and make my own opinion.

Never thought of that.  I am not a big person but do get claustrophobic. ? Am sure I'll be fine though.

Wouldn’t see many problems with it. On our Harmony cruise I saw a litany if older people on it doing just fine. It’s the same speed as if you went on a slide at a playground. The darkness and lights amplify the feeling of speed to make it seem as if you’re traveling faster than you are. At best you’re traveling about 9 miles an hours.