Sint Maarten - Car Rental

marti314

Wanted to get anyones feedback on their experience renting a car and driving around Sint Maarten.  Ive been at least 8 times to Sint Maarten but have always just used the taxis to orient beach or elsewhere.  I have rented cars in Aruba and Curacao and really enjoyed seeing as much of the islands as possible and getting to stop at more local places for a meal or drinks.  

What I do know however is Sint Maarten is hilly and has many winding roads.  Can anyone comment on their experiences?

There is a HERTZ right at the pier which seems very convenient and the cost is very reasonable for a rental for the day.

Someone one here has recently posted about renting a jeep and how much fun it was.

Their experience sounded pretty, easy and enjoyable. I don't think it was a live blog but it might have been. The only reason this registers is because I was in St. Maarten in January and contemplated the same thing until our plans changed.

Found the thread, scroll down until you see "Wednesday July 11"

Awesome, gonna take a look thanks.  I know there are risks with driving cars in islands like this, i know they try to get you for every scratch and ding but ive learned you take so many pictures before you sign the contract so they have nothing at all to get you for unless of course something new happens.

It's been over 10 years since I've rented there, but did it twice with zero issues.  Just give yourself enough time to get back if you are going over the drawbridge as that can hold you up a bit.  It was weird the first time we rented because they took the person to go pick up the car and it was just sitting in someone's driveway.  Both times we had little 4-door sedans that were pretty low to the ground and scraped some with potholes or pulling into parking lots.  But no dings or scratches or extra charges.