Does your cabin steward need to be seen to be good?

DocLC

I was reflecting back on a conversation I had with someone on the Brilliance who tipped her waiters extra as she thought they were phenomenal, but didn't tip her steward extra because she rarely saw him. Does your steward need to be seen to be good?

Perhaps I have a different view on this, but I think the stealth cabin attendant is phenomenal. While you might not get to know him or her, it means he or she is servicing your cabin around your schedule. In addition, I've always been able to leave a note or call my attendant, so I never felt the need to track him or her down in the corridor

I'm with you, Doc. I really don't need to see my cabin attendant much. As long as I see them early and they know that I want ice twice a day and 4 towels every day then I'm pretty much good-to-go.

We dine on our deck usually at least a couple of times during a 7 night cruise so the cabin attendant is often required to clean up quite a little mess. I always tip them extra in those circumstances but I really don't need them skulking around when I'm trying to relax.

Stealth is better !

I feel I do need to see my steward because I enjoy the personal interaction as well as it makes it easier to make requests.  I hate to pick up the phone and call because I don't want to bug the person on their time off but if I can never find the person, then I have no choice.

I've always had good luck leaving a note. I'll admit that I enjoyed my interaction with the steward on the Brilliance and that she was my go to person for any issues we had with the cabin.

As an aside, we had a couple of long (12-15 hour days), so we always let our steward know as there was no reason for her to service our room twice that day. We told her so she could either skip the room in the morning or remake it for night in the morning so that she wouldn't have to do it in the evening. She seemed grateful for the information.

This is what I do: The First day it is important for me to start things off right.. Like Raye (Waytoo) I need ice twice a day and I also like extra towels. I once had a stateroom attendant who seemed annoyed that I was making this request so ever since then after I make my first day request I give them an additional $20 so they know I do appreciate it. I also like to let them know my dining preferences so they know when is a good time to clean my room. I am an early eater around 6:00 or 6:30 PM so I like to give them that heads up because I like my room cleaned while I am at dinner and yes I do have a reason for this.. After Dinner I like to take about 15-20 min in my room to digest my food before doing an activity. While I am digesting I like to look at the next days cruise planner to see what looks fun. So for me since I have these sort of special requests I do try to tip extra.