Extra Gratuities

tdcackler

OK, so I don't want to start a fight about gratuities (because it seems that few things can start a fight like this topic, politics and religion!). We are preparing for our first cruise on RC this upcoming February after 3 DCL and 1 NCL cruises. I had lunch with a friend of mine who has been on two RC cruises in the last 18 months or so and said he was surprised that he had the automatic gratuities added and then the cruise staff pushed enevelopes for extra tips.
Now, we tip well and I usually tip "extra" (my choice, you do what you want). I just wonder if this is normal or if my friend misunderstood (only his 2nd crusie). Thanks!

We also received an envelope from our cabin attendant on our last cruise.  This was the first time in a number of years that I had seen the envelope.  It is purely optional.  As you said, you have paid all the gratuities you are required to pay in the daily gratuity or when ordering a drink or service that requires an extra charge.  ANYthing above that is optional.

Just now, WAAAYTOOO said:

We also received an envelope from our cabin attendant on our last cruise.  This was the first time in a number of years that I had seen the envelope.  It is purely optional.  As you said, you have paid all the gratuities you are required to pay in the daily gratuity or when ordering a drink or service that requires an extra charge.  ANYthing above that is optional.

Thanks, this was not something we experienced on other lines, so I was skeptical on what he was telling me (hopefully he won't come here and see me say that. ) ?