The Freedom was on fire this morning

Just heard Freedom of the Seas caught fire. The pictures show extensive damage to the very top of the ship. Hope they can get it together by the time we go. They just re-furbished the Freedom and now it burns. Our luck.

Royal Caribbean stated it was a mild fire and all systems worked. They have not said that it will continue on it's scheduled route or what?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6456

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/royal-caribbean-ship-cape-canaveral-catches-fire-j/nm4qN/

The ship arrived into port on Sunday to re-load with passengers.

Here's a link to a facebook page with more pictures.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.882327948482129.1073741863.136612489720349&type=3

Hopefully they will get everything fixed before our Sept sailing.

Passengers interviewed said on TV, Sunday morning, that Royal Caribbean gave everyone $150 in cruise credits on a future cruise for any personal issues that the fire may have caused.

Depending what they paid for the cruise this amounted to around 1% or less. They said most people were happy with that.

That makes sense...and for having to spend an hour or two(I think that's all it was) on a lockdown, I think that's pretty fair. Anything I can get towards my next cruise is a bonus!!

That being said, that's still a lot of money RCI paid out if that ships holds around 4000 people?!

Honestly, I'm note sure any compensation was actually needed, so any amount in my mind is beneficial and good will on the cruise line.  However, I think it's good business.  I was recently on a flight that had to make an unscheduled landing resulting from loss of secondary flight systems.  Even though we were delayed less than an hour and everything was handle extremely well, each passenger was compensated with $125 flight credit voluntarily.  This increased my liking for the airline as they took the initiative to address the problem.

Captain Holmes does a GREAT job explaining the fire on-board the Freedom of the Seas in his narrative below. Looks like the fire hit the Viking Lounge area (drat). Wonder where the diamond lounge hang-out will be moved to?

This was played on the cruise TV so everyone on-board could get the correct information, as they knew it, and it came directly from the Captain, with charts. You can actually understand him, he's American.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/07/articles/fires-1/freedom-of-the-seas-fire-a-word-from-your-captain/

We are booked on a b-to-b on the Freedom, in September this year, and my wife and I were considering canceling because of the fire and the little information that we were getting from corporate.

Now that I have seen this video with the Captain's explanation, we are not canceling, and are actually looking forward to it again.

Regarding the FREEDOM FIRE, has anyone gone on her since the fire?

I had heard that the Diamond Club Lounge and the Concierge Lounge was a molten, smokey mess.

Where have they, if they have, relocated these ship havens? Or, are they operational again?

If they haven't relocated the above two lounges, how and where are they accommodating the suite, and diamond and above, cruisers?

Thank you.

Regarding the FREEDOM FIRE, has anyone gone on her since the fire?

I had heard that the Diamond Club Lounge and the Concierge Lounge was a molten, smokey mess.

Where have they, if they have, relocated these ship havens? Or, are they operational again?

If they haven't relocated the above two lounges, how and where are they accommodating the suite, and diamond and above, cruisers?

Thank you.

I was on the sailing after the fire.  The Diamond club was closed, but Concierge was definitely open (I saw folks going in and out).

"Rotten smokey mess" is definitely not true.  I believe the Diamond Club reopened late into my cruise.

The impact of the fire on the ship was next to none.  It looked far worse than it ever was.

• 2 months later...

Went on the Freedom of the Seas on a B2B2B from September 13 through October 3rd, and I report that they are still working on the "very, very minimal" area that caught on fire.

They still have temporary walls covering the affected area. One day on the cruise they had one of the walls down. The heat from the area was almost unbearable. The Diamond Club Lounge is still closed and has been relocated to a much smaller area. The whole area is still being repaired. From early in the morning until late at night you can hear men working. I feel sorry for those with rooms in the rear and are affected by the construction/renovation noise and constant banging.

We ate at Johnny Rockets a couple of times, excellent food and entertainment I might say, and saw a bunch of workers going in and out of the work area.

This has been quite a while since the actual fire. There are signs posted in the back of the ship outside and inside to in effect, please excuse the on-going work. When did the fire happen?

There are now rumors that the Freedom is going into dry dock to complete the repairs, but that has not been confirmed.