Main Dining Room on Longer Cruises

DocLC

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the main dining room on longer cruises? Is it more of the same or do they do something a little different to spice things up?

We're headed out on a 12 night Northern Europe cruise and was just wondering what to expect. For me, personally, I sometimes get tired of the MDR's offerings depending on the menus, but have never been on a longer or European cruise, so I don't know if they go with the standard Royal menus or go with something else.

We are planning at least one dinner in the Windjammer, Giovani's Table, and Izumi along with two nights at Chops, so this might be a solution for us. I know there's also a Rita's Cantina on the Brilliance, but the menu is pretty limited.

Doc it has been my experience that it's just more of the same. They don't even do the waiters entertainment anymore (which is fine by me). You will definitely get to try all of the standard MDR menus but there aren't any surprises....or at least none that I have experienced.

I have never been on the Brilliance but I have no reason to believe it would vastly different from any of the other ships. Sorry to hear that Rita's is one of your limited choices. Too bad they didn't opt for Sabor which is a MUCH better restaurant than Rita's.

• 2 weeks later...

On our 12 night cruise on Brilliance back in 2013, the menu changed every day and they had one local speciality of the visited ports every day. We enjoyed it very much and had not the impression, that there was too less variety.

The bes dining experience was on our 16 night transatlantic cruise, where they tried new things and the food was better than on any other cruise before.

• 4 weeks later...

You can get anything in the MDR, including alcohol and specialty coffees, although there will be a charge beyond regular coffee, tea (iced and hot), milk, and water at dinner. I believe lemonade may also be included.

They'll ask for your cruise card to charge it to your onboard account, so that will be your first clue. In addition, other than the complimentary beverages listed, there will always be a charge with the only exception being complimentary juice at breakfast. If you drink sodas and or a lot of non-alcoholic drinks, you might look into one of the beverage packages.

I was reading on another blog that in the main dining room that some food is for a charge. I was under the impression that when we ate in main dining room that this was included but the blog said he had to pay extra for a ''better cut of steak'' Is this accurate? We went on a cruise back in 97 so much has changed. Back then it was all included  Thanks for any info

I was reading on another blog that in the main dining room that some food is for a charge. I was under the impression that when we ate in main dining room that this was included but the blog said he had to pay extra for a ''better cut of steak'' Is this accurate? We went on a cruise back in 97 so much has changed. Back then it was all included  Thanks for any info

It's true. You can order a steak or lobster tail in the main dining room for an additional charge any night, but there are evenings when those items are on the included menu.

It's essentially for people that want steak or lobster every/any night

As Matt stated, there is a steak and a lobster option for an extra charge, both of which are from the specialty restaurant, Chops, and clearly marked as such. There will always be a beef entree and an always available steak entree on the included menu. These additional items allow for a higher quality entree without having to dine at the specialty venue.