Stingray city in grand cayman...

mom2mybugs

So we are going to grand Cayman on freedom in March.   Just saw that a million ships and people (ok 5 and 18000 tourists)  will be there that day.   We booked a dolphin swim and stingray excursion that starts at 8am.  Since stingrays are THE thing to do in grand cayman, we wanted to swim with them.   However has anyone done this and will it be so crazy with people that you won't get near a stingray?  

Also,  weather in March often cancels tenders at coco cay.   How has the luck been at grand cayman?  Are we likely to not be able to tender?  Jane

Loved the stingrays!  Lots of people can be annoying (long story short my wife finally had to shove people out of the way because they were being "ray hogs" and not letting others feed or get pictures), but overall a good time.  I enjoyed just snorkeling/swimming with them away from all the people.

I've done Stingray City a couple of times as part of a longer scuba trip. If you are considering scuba, I recommend that because you are a little deeper, you're away from the masses of snorkelers, and the rays are all around you. Many of the dive boats provide bait, and you get a lot of attention that way. It's like being around a bunch of friendly dogs. There may be a resort course scuba offering on your sailing to make it work.