Europe Excursions (General Question)

I'm sure someone will chime in with their actual experiences, but my thoughts:

Barcelona: I believe the ship docks in/very close to the city so there should be lots of time to explore.
Mallorca: No idea
Florence: Minimum 1+ hour from dock to the city, plus the same on the return. You would have to rush through most of the major sights to hit everything, or you just pick a couple things you want to visit in greater detail.
Rome: Minimum 45min from dock to the city, plus the same on the return. Same situation as Florence.

Personally, I think Florence and Rome are better suited to land vacations than cruise ports.

18 hours ago, CNA Jacksonville said:

We are seriously considering a European cruise which includes such ports as Barcelona, Mallorca, Florence & Rome.  Do the excursions offer enough time to see the major sites in those locations?  Looking for advice to help us plan a cruiseor opt for a land vacation.

I think that depends on your definition of "major sites" and what you mean by "see".
In Rome, if you drive by the colosseum in a bus and a tour guide tells you on the left is the colosseum. Do you consider that enough time and is it enough for you to tick the checkbox of "seen".

You can spend a week in any of the bigger cities like Rome or Barcelona and won't manage to really see all the major sites.

What a cruise is nice for is, drive by the major attractions and visit several cities and then make an informed decision on what country/city to visit next year for a land based holiday.

It depends on the excursion and port obviously. Booking a 3 hour excursion will give you more time than a 6 hour one to explore on your own. Also some ports are not close to the city. The port for Rome is a good hour+ from the actual port. Lastly, some itineraries have you in ports longer than others. Some you are there for 9 hours or even overnight and a different itinerary will have you at the same port for like 6 hours. You just have to do your homework