Sun Princess Feb 8th Inaugural Sailing Cancelled

F1guynz

8 hours ago, twangster said:

Very unfortunate and surprised they had to wait until now to make the call to delay

I was surprised as well. I assume they follow a similar process to Royal so the fact the ship is still at the ship yard must mean there is a work to complete and then coast guard approval and maybe test sailings.

Princess haven’t cancelled the 18th cruise but I suspect it would be ambitious to be ready by then as well.

It's also possible an incident occured on the ship, such as a small fire, that escaped making it to the media.  The shipyard and the cruise line try very hard to keep negative incidents out of the news.   

It was interesting to me that Royal finished Icon early but avoided the temptation to sell a few early "pre-inaugural" cruises to the public.

We'll probably never know what really happened to the Sun Princess to cause a late delay this close to the finish line.  Maybe it's on the shipyard.  Too much bravado and not enough project management.