Do specialty restaurant staff know you have the UDP if you don't mention it?

Kind of a silly question but this is my first time booking the UDP on my upcoming cruise but I haven't really found an answer as it seems pretty niche.

Since the specialty restaurant reservations can be made as either charged, or uncharged (via UDP), do you have to specifically mention booking as the UDP when making reservations or walk-ins? That is to say, do they default to a charged reservation unless you mention you have the UDP, especially for walk-ins? I'm worried that if I dine as a walk-in they will charge my account if I forget to mention that I have the UDP and with several once-per-day restaurants with a la carte credits it really seems like a possibility. Of course, this can probably be sorted at the guest services desk but it still makes me wonder a bit.

This is a very good question.  There must be some kind of notation on your account/reservation that indicates that you have a dining plan b/c my experience is that they always mention it and verify that you have a package and want to use it for this meal.  This even holds true for BOGO meals for D+ and Pinns.  I've never been accidentally charged for a meal that should have been covered by a dining plan BUT it never hurts to mention it !  Certainly can't hurt.

Anything can happen, but we've done dining packages (not UDP) on 3 ships and have never been charged for a meal included in the dining package; only for alcohol if ordered with dinner since we had no alcohol package. That said, we've always been asked by the waiter when ordering wine if we would like to apply the discount to the wine purchase associated with C & A benefits (that we without exception forget about). In our experience, the wait staff and bartenders have been very good reminding us if we haven't used the benefit. 

For reassurance, always review your Sea Pass account activity daily. A trip to Guest Services will take care of your concern should it occur.

23 minutes ago, Geezer Of The Seas said:

That said, we've always been asked by the waiter when ordering wine if we would like to apply the discount to the wine purchase associated with C & A benefits (that we without exception forget about). In our experience, the wait staff and bartenders have been very good reminding us if we haven't used the benefit. 

Wow that is something I have never been reminded about!  And it is so easy to not think about those benefits…you’ve apparently had better wait staff than I have!  I will just need to be extra cautious in remembering from now on because yes, I have left a cruise or two never having used my 50% off wine benefits 😔…but did enjoy the 🍷!  

50 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Wow that is something I have never been reminded about!  And it is so easy to not think about those benefits…you’ve apparently had better wait staff than I have!  I will just need to be extra cautious in remembering from now on because yes, I have left a cruise or two never having used my 50% off wine benefits 😔…but did enjoy the 🍷!  

On Wonder last April, the crew member staffing The Doghouse asked me if I'd like to apply the 50% discount to the can of Corona I ordered with my dog.

May not be everyone's experience  but I'm glad the crew notices because I generally don't give it a thought.

5 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

This is a very good question.  There must be some kind of notation on your account/reservation that indicates that you have a dining plan b/c my experience is that they always mention it and verify that you have a package and want to use it for this meal.  This even holds true for BOGO meals for D+ and Pinns.  I've never been accidentally charged for a meal that should have been covered by a dining plan BUT it never hurts to mention it !  Certainly can't hurt.

Cool cool, thanks! This is reassuring. I thought about this when I saw that the Sea Pass card has a key notation for those who purchase The Key and a drinks package notation for those who have it but I never saw one for the UDP which I thought was a bit weird.

3 hours ago, JeffsterL said:

Cool cool, thanks! This is reassuring. I thought about this when I saw that the Sea Pass card has a key notation for those who purchase The Key and a drinks package notation for those who have it but I never saw one for the UDP which I thought was a bit weird.

True.  There is no such designation on the card itself like there is with the DBP or Key