Athens

On my b2b this summer on Explore I will be in Athens (Piraeus) 2 times. One of the times I want to visit the Acropolis. I have been to Athens before but that was when I was younger and did not appreciate it. Should I take a taxi from the cruise port to the Acropolis or the metro. This is for just one person as I am cruising solo. 

I have not cruised to Greece before but if there is a direct connection between the two, the Athens metro is clean and fast and the stations are pretty cool. Some archaeology and history inside of the stations. The taxi rides can be nerve wracking in Athens! Just keep your eye on your belongings - there are sometimes roving groups in Europe (not unique to Athens) that like to pick pocket on the metro. I actually had a security guard tell me not to keep my backpack on my back, although I didn't have anything of value in it.

I would also highly recommend the Acropolis museum across the street. There are many parts that have been removed from the Acropolis and are now displayed in the museum, like most of the friezes. 

On 1/5/2024 at 12:41 PM, Kelseylovestocruise said:

Should I take a taxi from the cruise port to the Acropolis or the metro.

I am guessing the Metro is cheapest but I took an Uber from the port, took about 15 minutes and cost 15€. If possible, I recommend getting to the Acropolis site right at 8am when it opens and having your ticket pre-purchased, this will save you a bunch of time at the gate.