Fort Lauderdale Amtrak transfer advice.

Anthropod

We are cruising in March on the Symphony of the Seas. We are taking an Amtrak from North Carolina to Fort Lauderdale. Many hotels offer shuttles from the airport and will get you to the ship the next day. It is not apparent if any hotels do the same for the Amtrak station. There are 5 of us. Google did not turn up much. Any thoughts?  

1 hour ago, Anthropod said:

We are cruising in March on the Symphony of the Seas. We are taking an Amtrak from North Carolina to Fort Lauderdale. Many hotels offer shuttles from the airport and will get you to the ship the next day. It is not apparent if any hotels do the same for the Amtrak station. There are 5 of us. Google did not turn up much. Any thoughts?  

Uber would be the best option. You are looking at a $10-$15 ride from the train station to a hotel on the 17th street corridor. 

So hotels were filling up. Wow. Today there were 4 hotels sold out for that night that had availability yesterday. I booked Embassy Suites. Decent reviews and the price was one of the best. They have a shuttle but it's not free to the cruise port. $12.00 a person. I called them and they will do an Amtrak transfer for the same amount but they don't do Amtrak often and they need me to call back and schedule it around March 1st. They said because Amtrak isn't on time they book it for a window and I call when we are about there or there. I probably will go with the cruise transfer at $12.00. I'll call in march and see what they say about the Amtrak transfer to firm that up. Uber may be a great option though. 

4 hours ago, Anthropod said:

So hotels were filling up. Wow. Today there were 4 hotels sold out for that night that had availability yesterday. I booked Embassy Suites. Decent reviews and the price was one of the best. They have a shuttle but it's not free to the cruise port. $12.00 a person. I called them and they will do an Amtrak transfer for the same amount but they don't do Amtrak often and they need me to call back and schedule it around March 1st. They said because Amtrak isn't on time they book it for a window and I call when we are about there or there. I probably will go with the cruise transfer at $12.00. I'll call in march and see what they say about the Amtrak transfer to firm that up. Uber may be a great option though. 

Unless you require assistance, I highly recommend Uber for both Amtrak to Embassy and Embassy to port. I know the area very well (like 47 years well) and this is the easiest way to get from place to place. The shuttle is annoying because it requires you to be on someone else’s schedule. The port entrance is 1/4 mile from the hotel. 

Just now, tonyfsu21 said:

Unless you require assistance, I highly recommend Uber for both Amtrak to Embassy and Embassy to port. I know the area very well (like 47 years well) and this is the easiest way to get from place to place. The shuttle is annoying because it requires you to be on someone else’s schedule. The port entrance is 1/4 mile from the hotel. 

Also important to note, March (Spring Break) is a very expensive month to stay in a hotel in Fort Lauderdale which I’m sure you found out. 

3 hours ago, Anthropod said:

I appreciate all the advice. I need to get with the times. I'm a techie by trade and heart, but I've never trusted UBERs. For five folks do you call a couple UBER's?

I'd do 2 - one Uber XL (3 people + luggage + overflow luggage from the other two) and one regular (2 people + luggage)

We do one Uber XL for our family of 4 and our fit is a little tight with our luggage. The XL is usually an SUV or minivan. 

6 hours ago, Anthropod said:

I appreciate all the advice. I need to get with the times. I'm a techie by trade and heart, but I've never trusted UBERs. For five folks do you call a couple UBER's?

Two should work well. There’s not much of a drive for either of your scenarios so it won’t be a major additional expense. 

I see you have already gotten things sorted by booking at Embassy Suites but for anyone else using Amtrak, for future reference if you are getting off of Amtrak at the Fort Lauderdale station that station is also shared by the local Tri-Rail commuter line. If you get on to the Tri-Rail and take it one stop further south to the Fort Lauderdale Airport Station you will be literally across the street in walking distance of the Courtyard by Marriott, an excellent property that I have used and would highly recommend. The same management also owns the Fairfield Inn about a block further away from there, and I believe also a third hotel in the Marriott Bonvoy family, the particular name of which escapes me at the moment, all three of them are within a 5-minute walk of the Tri-Rail Airport Station.

2 hours ago, WhoCruiser said:

I see you have already gotten things sorted by booking at Embassy Suites but for anyone else using Amtrak, for future reference if you are getting off of Amtrak at the Fort Lauderdale station that station is also shared by the local Tri-Rail commuter line. If you get on to the Tri-Rail and take it one stop further south to the Fort Lauderdale Airport Station you will be literally across the street in walking distance of the Courtyard by Marriott, an excellent property that I have used and would highly recommend. The same management also owns the Fairfield Inn about a block further away from there, and I believe also a third hotel in the Marriott Bonvoy family, the particular name of which escapes me at the moment, all three of them are within a 5-minute walk of the Tri-Rail Airport Station.

Great stuff to know! Yes I have it booked, but great to as to knowledge base. Love forums like this.