Beaches in Greece ??

rjac

My wife and I along with our daughter and two grands will be on the Explorer OTS next July. We will be embarking and disembarking in Venice. The islands we will be visiting are Santorini, Mykonos, Athens and Olympia(Katakonos). The questions I have are:

1. Do the beaches excursions by Royal have lounge chairs, umbrellas, bathrooms, snack/drink bar?

2. What is the duration of these beach excursions? 

I appreciate your comments, this is our first trip to Greece. 

rjac 😎

We went to Black Beach (Santorini) last season it was quite nice. The sand is hot though so bring shoes. Also a slippery ledge right at the waterline makes getting in and out tricky especially in any kind of surf.

At Mykonos we went to Delphi and no one is permitted for religious reasons to enter the water. We were on a motorized sailboat and they brought us to a neighboring island and we could jump in and swim to the beach. Nice beach but no amenities.

We didn't go to your other destinations but had a great cruise! 

I'm looking for similar info.  Traveling on Odyssey July 2024, from Florida so I MUST DO the beaches in Greece.   I'm thinking of getting a taxi from the port heading to Perivolos Beach and hanging out for a while.    Then finish the day at Fira for sunset viewing.    Does that sound feasible.   We arrive at 1p and need to be on ship by 10p.   I will be bringing swimming shoes, not all beaches are in FL.

Annie

On 12/5/2023 at 3:52 PM, AniJ1979 said:

I'm looking for similar info.  Traveling on Odyssey July 2024, from Florida so I MUST DO the beaches in Greece.   I'm thinking of getting a taxi from the port heading to Perivolos Beach and hanging out for a while.    Then finish the day at Fira for sunset viewing.    Does that sound feasible.   We arrive at 1p and need to be on ship by 10p.   I will be bringing swimming shoes, not all beaches are in FL.

Annie

You should have plenty of time to enjoy the beach and get back for sunset. Check the the time the sunsets as it varies through out the year. Also if you return after sunset the cable car line will be very long. This will result in you walking down the donkey trail which is dark slippery and smelly. Everyone should do it once but be prepared!

• 4 weeks later...

Mykonos has nice beaches but if you are from FL, be aware they are typically pebble beaches not pure sand.

Unless you have a particular beach in mind for Santorini, finding a boat or catamaran is a lot more scenic and you can swim in the hot springs. Sailing around the caldera and seeing Oia or the fishing villages is pretty amazing and avoids the crowds. The beaches have lava rock and are relatively small.

I wouldn’t recommend going to the beach in Athens (Piraeus).