Time changes

bcmiedema

Time zone changes are up to the captain.  Most times you will stay on whatever time your original embarkation port was on (often referred to as "ship time").  This is most typical with Caribbean cruises.  But some cruises will adjust to the time.  You will get notice in the Cruise Compass, among other places.

Time changes are managed quite well. On our last long cruise we had many time changes. At most they usually only alter the time by an hour a day. It is noted in the Cruise Compass as well as the cruise directors morning show. In case you miss those just remember the captain comes on at midday with an update and you can set your watches then.

Haven't done a TA so I cant comment on that, but on a couple of occasions we have had them come up on a 4 night Caribbean a couple of times and they seem pointlessly complicated.

Usually goes something like:

Day 1 - Embark on Eastern Time

Day 2 - Stay on Eastern Time, but switch to Central Time over night

Day 3 - Now on Central Time, day in Cozumel, but switch back to Eastern over night

Day 4 - Back on Eastern

Day 5 - Disembark on Eastern Time

I think it has to do with adjusting ship time to match Cozumel time, but after all the repeated reminders to "stay on ships time" it seems like major PITA to switch back and forth.

I personally like when they keep it the same time as the home port or 'ship' time. I would think it would help eliminate the accidental "oh noes I forgot to change my watch and now the ship left me" problem.

For most Caribbean cruises, they usually stay on ship time.  At least, that's been my experience.