Labadee on Oasis of the Seas ~ 4/2024

I have not contacted Royal Caribbean, but am wondering if anyone knows how they are handling this port with all the violence currently going on. The US State Department and US Embassy has ordered US citizens to leave Haiti immediately. 

My cruise is still several months away, so anything can change between now and then. As of now, is Royal Caribbean bypassing this port? If things don’t change by April, I’m wondering if it would be safer to stay on the ship if they’re keeping the Labadee itinerary. Has anyone experienced this port recently and how it’s being handled?

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Debbie C said:

I have not contacted Royal Caribbean, but am wondering if anyone knows how they are handling this port with all the violence currently going on. The US State Department and US Embassy has ordered US citizens to leave Haiti immediately. 

My cruise is still several months away, so anything can change between now and then. As of now, is Royal Caribbean bypassing this port? If things don’t change by April, I’m wondering if it would be safer to stay on the ship if they’re keeping the Labadee itinerary. Has anyone experienced this port recently and how it’s being handled?

Thank you.

This is probably the safest place you will go on your cruise. No issues at all. This is not “Haiti” like Port Au Prince style Haiti in any way. Don’t spend even one minute being concerned with this. 

Response from RCL will be that "they are actively monitoring the situation and will respond appropriately."  As echoed by the previous posts, it is not really subject to the same concerns that the State Department is expressing because it is essentially its own island (geographically a peninsula but essentially separated from the rest of Haiti by a fully gated security post).  With that said, there have been skipped sailings here and there due to protests and security concerns but that is likely as easy to predict as missing the port because of high winds/hurricanes.  We were there in December on Oasis and they apparently broke three mooring lines and had to use the thrusters to keep the ship tight to the dock.  Capt. said they were one line away from skipping the port.