Wonderland (and other specialty dining) Reservation availabilty on board

DavidNYC

I notice that dining reservations for my August Symphony cruise are open.   We have about $900 of cruise credits but can't use any of them for anything we need to pay for in advance which is causing some angst in figuring out what is likely to be bookable once we board since I'd prefer to use my credits for dining.

Wonderland is the main one we're interested in since it's so different (as much as I love sushi and steaks etc. we have enough really good restaurants here that don't feel a need to do those).  So question is - do many of these specialty dining restaurants sell out for many days prior to the cruise or should I still have decent availability if I go to book right upon boarding (and will try to get an early boarding time).

Both of you who replied about sailing being sold out in winter months really can't compare it to summer months. An August sailing on Symphony hits different than a Jan/Feb sailing on Symphony. 

Also keep in mind that specialty restaurants can be sold out and not look full. If they are understaffed, they will only seat so many people. 

@Ampurp85 How is being sold out in winter different than being sold out in summer? Isn’t capacity the same? I was last sailing during the holiday break (My Wonderland dinner was on New Years Eve) which is just as crowded and popular with families than anytime during the summer. I’ve never noticed any difference between winter break capacity crowds versus summer capacity crowds on a ship. Im not saying there isn’t one, just never saw a difference personally. 

22 minutes ago, Ryan79 said:

@Ampurp85 How is being sold out in winter different than being sold out in summer? Isn’t capacity the same? I was last sailing during the holiday break (My Wonderland dinner was on New Years Eve) which is just as crowded and popular with families than anytime during the summer. I’ve never noticed any difference between winter break capacity crowds versus summer capacity crowds on a ship. Im not saying there isn’t one, just never saw a difference personally. 

A holiday sailing will be closer or the same as a summer sailing, but winter in general can be sold out but not the same as a summer or holiday sailing sold out. Think 100% versus possibly 110-115% as more pax actually fill the rooms. The load for a typical winter sailing is not the same as a summer, where more and more families are traveling. I typically sail during winter in Jan/Feb but not holidays, so the ships are at capacity, but nothing like for winter holiday, spring, or summer break.