Not flying back on disembarkation day, but considering an excursion

For our cruise on Freedom next March, we're not only planning to fly down two days ahead to check out the area before the cruise; we're also planning to fly back on Monday, rather than the Sunday the cruise gets back. I was considering taking one of the excursions offered on disembarkation day (the airboat ride / tour), but I'm wondering what happens to our luggage in that case. I tried doing a search on the site because I'd swear I saw an article here some time back talking about doing disembarkation day excursions, but I'm coming up empty.

I seem to recall that for people flying out later the same day, you can do the excursion and Royal will send your luggage ahead of you to the airport in the meantime. But what if you're not flying out? Can we leave our luggage at the port while we're on the excursion, where Royal (or maybe the port staff) keep it in a safe location, and then come back to port when the excursion's over to pick up our bags and get a Lyft to the hotel we'll be at? Or are we required to take our luggage with us as soon as we're off the ship?

I really hope it's not the latter, but if it is I'll skip booking the excursion through Royal and just make a stand-alone booking for the afternoon or something. And I'll make sure it's late enough in the day that we'll have enough time to disembark without rushing, along with waiting for a Lyft, getting to the hotel to drop off our bags, and then going to the outing.

You cannot leave your luggage at the port.  Here are some ideas for what to do with it

• Rent a car
  • Leave the luggage at a hotel you are not staying at.  Just ask bell services to hold the luggage because you haven't checked in, and tip them nicely.

OK. This is more or less what I was expecting. Had hoped Royal might have some kind of option for people who'd booked a disembarkation day excursion with them, but I'll just go with Plan B and book on my own for mid- or late-afternoon, and then get a rental car or just a Lyft to go to whatever hotel we are staying at, drop off the luggage, and then head to the excursion site.

Gotta go with the flow! :27_sunglasses:

In the long run, it will probably be cheaper to rent a car and do the airport on your own. Plus, if you rent from the airport location, you have your travel for the next day covered. The airboat tour runs about $30 pp, so you can estimate costs from there.  A one day rental from FLL over New Years was about $65 for two days.