Switching to a travel agent

What's the benefit to switching to a travel agent after booking? What is the process, rules, etc?

Thinking of booking on our last night on board using Next, but I keep reading on here about switching it over to agent...? Should I book on board for best savings or wait until we get off and use my TA?

thanks!

You won't save any more onboard, but you will receive some onboard credit and a reduced deposit. 

A TA is your advocate should something go wrong or should prices drop as they can secure the price reduction for you without you having to wait on the phone with Royal. 

Go ahead and book onboard.  If you booked your existing cruise with a TA, it will automatically move to them.  If not, you can contact your TA when you return and have it transferred to them within 60 days.  If you get home and your TA has a "better" deal, it can always be re-priced and moved to the lower price. The benefit of booking onboard is the additional OBC for 5-night cruises or longer, combined with your C&A status discounts, should you have any.  Of course please read the rules, as things are changing in the future with the refundable and non-refundable deposit options starting this summer, and the non-refundable suite deposits.

22 hours ago, Big Dawg Ron said:

Go ahead and book onboard.  If you booked your existing cruise with a TA, it will automatically move to them.  If not, you can contact your TA when you return and have it transferred to them within 60 days.  

Keep in mind you only have up to 60 days after booking the cruise to transfer.

I wrote this blog post about why to use a travel agent: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/06/15/why-first-time-cruisers-should-use-royal-caribbean-travel-agent

2 hours ago, MikeK said:

We have had a TA for years and they have saved us more than a few times.   Try to chose an agent or agency that has experience in cruises,  it will make a difference!

I agree.  A TA with experience in cruises and/or Royal Caribbean can make a big difference.