Tours excursions in Norway

Katiemay0101

Hi All, 

As a graduation gift my son chose to cruise around Norway and he and I will be going June 16th on Anthem for 7 days our of Southampton and we're very excited!

Here's the issue. My son has mobility limitations and some days he can walk but not for long periods of time and on other days he uses a cane, walker, or wheelchair. The majority of excursions through RC are pretty much hiking up the side of a glacier for 2 hours and then hiking back down. This is obviously not an option for us. What he would really like to do, and the reason he chose this trip is to tour museums, look at architecture, people watch, do some shopping and eating. 

Can any of you recommend a private tour company or even a personal driver type company? The personal driver appeals to us more because then we could go at our own pace and he wouldn't feel pressured to rush, which would cause a "wheelchair" day the next day. 

Thanks for any info you could give me! I appreciate you all. 

Kate

@Katiemay

Take a look at the thread linked below in which I've been sharing my research for our Norway cruise in July. The links I've posted in the thread will hopefully give you a starting point to find something suitable for your family. I haven't done Haugesund yet, if that's one of your ports too, (work keeps getting in the way) so that one is still to come. If you follow that thread you should get a notification when I get it done. Hope it helps.

We are sailing the Norway Fjords with Holland American in August.  I've found that booking thru the local operators is way cheaper than the cruise line.  Not sure if that holds true for RCL, but for HAL it was substantially cheaper.  A RIB boat tour in Geirangerfjord was $175/pp on the cruise website and only $53/pp booked directly.  Again, this was HAL and not RCL.  Most of the fjord ports are very small and chances are the local guy that you can book directly with also provides the service for the cruise line.

Google the port stops and see what excursions are offered and if they can accommodate your son.  

On 3/6/2023 at 11:57 PM, Katiemay said:

Hi All, 

As a graduation gift my son chose to cruise around Norway and he and I will be going June 16th on Anthem for 7 days our of Southampton and we're very excited!

Here's the issue. My son has mobility limitations and some days he can walk but not for long periods of time and on other days he uses a cane, walker, or wheelchair. The majority of excursions through RC are pretty much hiking up the side of a glacier for 2 hours and then hiking back down. This is obviously not an option for us. What he would really like to do, and the reason he chose this trip is to tour museums, look at architecture, people watch, do some shopping and eating. 

Can any of you recommend a private tour company or even a personal driver type company? The personal driver appeals to us more because then we could go at our own pace and he wouldn't feel pressured to rush, which would cause a "wheelchair" day the next day. 

Thanks for any info you could give me! I appreciate you all. 

Kate

Great to know many cruise ships offer onboard learning experiences for kids while en route to your destination. Children can learn about the natural world in the Science and Discovery program and Camp Ocean. Making volcanoes or learning about buoyancy is never this much fun in a classroom. What Kids Can Learn on Shore Excursions. That's a great idea. Hope you let him travel and provide him cruise around Norway as a gift.