Medical equipment allowed?

Mljstr

I know that heating pads etc are not allowed onboard, but CPAP machines are. I use a heated eye pad for dry eyes. It is a plug in electrical product. I need to use this since there is no microwave to warm compresses for my eyes.  Who do I need to call to get permission to bring this onboard? What is the correct number?

I'd also recommend that when/if you get approval to bring the device on board, that you print out a copy of the approval and have it with you. I read another report of someone who was bringing a device that had been approved by special needs, and still had it questioned & confiscated at check in. Because they had their letter with them, the staff quickly followed up and got it back to them faster than they probably would have without the documentation. 

1 hour ago, jbrinkm said:

I'd also recommend that when/if you get approval to bring the device on board, that you print out a copy of the approval and have it with you. I read another report of someone who was bringing a device that had been approved by special needs, and still had it questioned & confiscated at check in. Because they had their letter with them, the staff quickly followed up and got it back to them faster than they probably would have without the documentation. 

Yes, very valid point. The people at security are 3rd party. We have bring an O2 concentrator with us sometimes. Security wanted to confiscated it one time, but we had the printout. Having said that after we showed it to him he did want to confiscated the charging cord, at which point I asked him how did he think it would get charged

4 hours ago, tjcruisers said:

Yes, very valid point. The people at security are 3rd party. We have bring an O2 concentrator with us sometimes. Security wanted to confiscated it one time, but we had the printout. Having said that after we showed it to him he did want to confiscated the charging cord, at which point I asked him how did he think it would get charged

makes me wonder....if the item is in a checked bag does it make it's way onboard and then confiscated?  At least you know it's on the ship.  I deallt with a security person at Baltimore....I felt no one would win with them-mine was a different issue though

2 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

makes me wonder....if the item is in a checked bag does it make it's way onboard and then confiscated?  At least you know it's on the ship.  I deallt with a security person at Baltimore....I felt no one would win with them-mine was a different issue though

Not sure if it would make it onboard. I would think no. Thinking some of the stuff getting confiscated you wouldn’t want on the cruise ship as it visits other countries (ie firearms)

For us we never had an issue sailing out of Florida, we ran into this sailing out of NJ. I chalked it up to Florida processing far more ships and the security down there being more accustomed to it