St Thomas Water Ferry and Land Taxi Question

Mike T

Most of our sailings RC sponsored excursions are sold out...so I am working on trying to make my own plan/sight seeing excursion and need some help from those that have done this...

We are docked at St Thomas from 7a-3p....Seems like it may be best to get off ship as early as possible and take a taxi early over to the Red Hook Terminal to go over to St Johns Cruz Bay Terminal.  If we wait until the 10a Ferry from Charlotte Amalie as we would be sacrificing a couple hours of time between waiting for that 10a departure and the time it takes to get over there....and then have to catch return ferry from Cruze Bay back to Red Hook  because times available every hour and we could catch 1p back to Red Hook....then taxi back to Charlotte Amalie....

Anybody done this and can advise how long of a taxi ride it is? 
Is the 1p return ferry enough time or should we consider the noon ferry back? Obviously don't want to miss the ship leaving... 

Or should we just stay on St Thomas and find something there?  I enjoy taking photos and really would like to try to see as much as we can but realize it's a short day.

Any advise is welcomed.  TIA!

image.png.cdabce18bfa3ab29680f8dbed1c1a4c3.png

image.png.5f11e2f0f3e9aca4f0ca15bc1365ff22.pngimage.png.4b65f0c6564ec9c14f8ce04aa7e8e378.png

Having lived on St. Thomas and done the car and passenger ferry to St. John many times I'd be very careful doing this on your own.  7am to 3pm is not a long time in port and the ferry service is run on island time.  On good days it runs fine and close to schedule.  Then it doesn't.  

Even the ship booked excursion to St. John leaves little time on the beach, often less than an hour.  There is a reason for that.  They purposely leave early coming back because they know.  

Just taking the taxi to Red Hook and back can have challenges.  If the road is blocked one way it can turn into a very long trip back the only other way to get back.  

When we ran into bad traffic we usually went home and tried another day.  That option doesn't work well during a visit on a cruise ship. 

20 minutes ago, twangster said:

Having lived on St. Thomas and done the car and passenger ferry to St. John many times I'd be very careful doing this on your own.  7am to 3pm is not a long time in port and the ferry service is run on island time.  On good days it runs fine and close to schedule.  Then it doesn't.  

Even the ship booked excursion to St. John leaves little time on the beach, often less than an hour.  There is a reason for that.  They purposely leave early coming back because they know.  

Just taking the taxi to Red Hook and back can have challenges.  If the road is blocked one way it can turn into a very long trip back the only other way to get back.  

When we ran into bad traffic we usually went home and tried another day.  That option doesn't work well during a visit on a cruise ship. 

This is great info @twangster, Thank you!  Maybe I will regroup my thoughts on this and take in something closer to port.