:) a style of snorkel that doesn't hurt me

Suzanne Elise

So I love the water, I love to swim but I disliked snorkeling. It hurt my nose and sinuses instantly, and the mouth piece bothered me too. I happen to live one block from a dive shop. I went by tonight to see if I could try a snorkel again in the pool. Same result, went back to the dive shop and said no luck. I was going to just buy goggles, when they said we have this other type of full face mask snorkel. I haven't gone in the water yet but it was a game changer. No pinching , no pain, nothing in the mouth that felt like the dentist. Its called Aria ocean reef full face snorkeling mask. I will check back and let you know how it is in the water. Hope this post is not too spammy, but we are going to Cozumel and I felt sad seeing other people talk about snorkeling, and now I can try!

I'm thrilled that you were able to find something you are comfortable with! And hate to diminish any excitement about snorkeling, but there have been some concerns reported about CO2 buildup and safety issues with full face masks. I'd encourage you to look into some of the reports to make a fully formed decision. Good luck snorkeling!!

Thanks for the tips. They did mention this style does not re-circulate air, so hopefully that cuts out the CO2 risk. I could breathe very easily in the pool and I have not the best breathing and oxygenation.

Inside there was this  DIRE pamphlet from the state of Hawaii health department about how many people die snorkeling. It literally had an info graphic with gun, crashing car and a snorkel (snorkel being the most dangerous).  It also was very pointed that 17 out of 18 snorkel deaths are non Hawaiian. It even said really don't feel the need to snorkel just because you are in Hawaii. Which is ironically the place I tried to snorkel and couldn't stand it.

EMS & Injury Prevention System Branch | Information on Drowning Prevention.webloc

On 1/13/2023 at 6:53 PM, Suzanne Elise said:

Thanks for the tips. They did mention this style does not re-circulate air, so hopefully that cuts out the CO2 risk. I could breathe very easily in the pool and I have not the best breathing and oxygenation.

Inside there was this  DIRE pamphlet from the state of Hawaii health department about how many people die snorkeling. It literally had an info graphic with gun, crashing car and a snorkel (snorkel being the most dangerous).  It also was very pointed that 17 out of 18 snorkel deaths are non Hawaiian. It even said really don't feel the need to snorkel just because you are in Hawaii. Which is ironically the place I tried to snorkel and couldn't stand it.

EMS & Injury Prevention System Branch | Information on Drowning Prevention.webloc 735 B · 6 downloads

My wife hated snorkeling primarily because she was in a car accident when in college and it smashed her jaw. Many decades later It is still really painful for her to bite down on a snorkel.   About 5 years ago we ran across a full face mask for her. She has loved snorkeling ever since.   The CO2 scare with full face masks is largely a myth conjured up by traditional snorkel gear makers. Enjoy

17 minutes ago, mac66 said:

My wife hated snorkeling primarily because she was in a car accident when in college and it smashed her jaw. Many decades later It is still really painful for her to bite down on a snorkel.   About 5 years ago we ran across a full face mask for her. She has loved snorkeling ever since.   The CO2 scare with full face masks is largely a myth conjured up by traditional snorkel gear makers.  Enjoy

Thats great!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

The snorkel worked great. I lasted about 45 minutes on my night snorkel excursion. (It was amazing it was like being a mermaid in a night club!) I got a touch of jaw pain on one side at the end. I did snorkel off the beach the next day and it worked even better in the shallow water. (I only saw one fish but it was a beautiful fish)

So glad i am now a snorkel girl!