Galveston: Day before cruise

ChadK74

If you or your family are space nerds (like me), NASA Johnson Space Center is less than 30 minutes away and a must see in Houston/Galveston.  Also, Houston has some amazing museums and is only 45 min - 1 hour away.  The Holocaust Museum is one of the best museums I've ever been to in the area.  

Lone Star flight museum is neat!  Seawolf Park is kind of neat (they have older vessels you can walk around on and stuff), and Moody Gardens is a really nice aquarium and rainforest in pyramids.  

Finally, Schlitterbahn is near Moody Gardens and is fun if you have kids/like water parks.  You can always do the beaches as well!

9 hours ago, Suzanne Elise said:

I will be there in one week.  Two nights before cruise

We want to do country western dancing, eat BBQ and Boudin. See a bit of texas, go to walmart for last minute trip stuff.

Country western dancing will be easy to find in Galveston/Houston area 🙂 Just about any bar you go to will have at least a couple of songs that people line dance to.

As far as BBQ, I HIGHLY recommend Koop's BBQ Kitchen (I think it's still open).   It's on the corner of 45th and Broadway (Ave J).  Very good and authentic food.  We had it the last time we were down in Galveston and I'm a BBQ fanatic (I've cooked in a few competitions) and this stuff is the real deal.  Their brisket is fantastic and some of the best smoked turkey breast I've ever eaten.  I don't think they have boudin though.

There is also a Walmart and a Target on the island, so you should be good there.  Walmart is on Seawall and Target is a little closer to the port on the north side of the island.

If you want/need anymore recommendations, let me know!  I'm down in Galveston pretty often.

On 1/16/2023 at 6:20 AM, TexanTwoStep said:

Country western dancing will be easy to find in Galveston/Houston area 🙂 Just about any bar you go to will have at least a couple of songs that people line dance to.

As far as BBQ, I HIGHLY recommend Koop's BBQ Kitchen (I think it's still open).   It's on the corner of 45th and Broadway (Ave J).  Very good and authentic food.  We had it the last time we were down in Galveston and I'm a BBQ fanatic (I've cooked in a few competitions) and this stuff is the real deal.  Their brisket is fantastic and some of the best smoked turkey breast I've ever eaten.  I don't think they have boudin though.

There is also a Walmart and a Target on the island, so you should be good there.  Walmart is on Seawall and Target is a little closer to the port on the north side of the island.

If you want/need anymore recommendations, let me know!  I'm down in Galveston pretty often.

I'm going to dm you a question, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...