Adventure Ocean Potty Training

Abrauer

Hello,

we will be traveling on Symphony of the Seas between January 7th and the 14th. My son will be three years and one week old at the time of sailing. We are working on potty training and he is in pull ups now. How strict is adventure ocean in terms of potty training? Will we still be able to utilize their service without him being fully potty trained? If he has an accident, we would come to him if needed.

Thank You

15 hours ago, Abrauer said:

How strict is adventure ocean in terms of potty training?

They have a "3 strikes and you're out" rule with this.

First and foremost, no 3 year old is truly fully potty trained, so you're not the only parent struggling with this.

Second, when the staff asks, you'll say he is potty trained, but he's a 3 year old.  

My recommendation is right before drop off, take him to the bathroom.

The staff can't assist in him going potty, so on embarkation day when Adventure Ocean is open for registration, show him the bathroom in Adventure Ocean and walk him through what he has to do.

You could also periodically check on him while he's there. When my kids were that old, we would stop in almost hourly to ask her if she needs to go potty. That's allowed too.

As I said, accidents could happen and they won't immediately toss him out if there is one.  But it can't be a regular thing.

Hope this helps!

• 5 months later...

I am responding to the potty training comment. I am on Quantum of the Sea. We put our girls (3 and 5) in training underwear thinking that would be fine, since it's not a diaper or pull-up. They were in Adventure Ocean 20 minutes before they called to pick them up. I find this policy to be too strict. The kids are away from home with strangers watching them. With the change to the eating routine, time changes and the stress of travel, I see no reason why they can't wear cotton underwear with a little extra padding just in case. My oldest prefers her training underwear. I don't know why she should be made to feel uncomfortable just to play with the other kids. We won't be brining them back to Adventure Ocean for the forseeable future. 

I'll speak as a mother to a non-potty trained (now) 4yo.

When we went on our cruise this past January, he was an almost-4yo.  When we were first registering him for AO, we let them know that he is not potty trained.  I had read somewhere that if you let them know, you may have the option of being assigned a phone each time you check them in.  With this phone, they can call you if your child needs to be changed.  This is exactly what they did for us.

Now, I'm not sure if this was because he is mostly non-verbal, but wanted to make sure other parents know that this is a possibility for them, too.

13 hours ago, nemrac917 said:

I'll speak as a mother to a non-potty trained (now) 4yo.

When we went on our cruise this past January, he was an almost-4yo.  When we were first registering him for AO, we let them know that he is not potty trained.  I had read somewhere that if you let them know, you may have the option of being assigned a phone each time you check them in.  With this phone, they can call you if your child needs to be changed.  This is exactly what they did for us.

Now, I'm not sure if this was because he is mostly non-verbal, but wanted to make sure other parents know that this is a possibility for them, too.

Exceptions are made for children that are special needs, but otherwise they need to be completely toilet trained AND completely self sufficient in the restroom. Staff will not be helping any child wipe or pull up pants. This is a safeguarding issue for the child and staff member. This isn't like a daycare setting where the staff work with a child on a long term basis. These are strangers who your child has never met before.