St Thomas - Magens Bay Beach Getaway

Drewmommy

I noticed in my Cruise Planner that this excursion is on sale for $21/adult and $13/kids.   How much would it cost approximately to take a taxi to Magens Bay Beach from the port and back for 3 people?  Trying to compare the cost.  If would cost us $55 total to book through the cruise line but we'd be covered in case something were to cause a delay in getting back to the ship.

Traffic in St. Thomas can be a problem, especially around rush hour.  I remember on one sailing we shared a van with a couple on Carnival and they had to exit the van a mile away from port to make a run for it because traffic was holding things up. 

That being said I almost always take a taxi.  Just give yourself plenty of time to get back (as in multiple hours) and you will be fine, and likely save money.

Last year we were on the Allure and did the "Secret Sands Beach Excursion". We have been to Magen's Bay before and we think the Secret Sands was a lot better and closer to the port. Depending on where your ship docks, you may spent more or less time getting to the beach. The Oasis class ships have to dock further away from Charlotte, past the air boat and ferry terminal, thus more time. If you are on a "smaller" ship then you may be one of the six that the port can accommodate, then lass time. 

Sorry Matt, I don't agree with you on the taxi thing. If you are on an RC excursion, the ship will wait for you if you are held up in traffic. It's a YOYO thing with a taxi.....you're on your own!

Sorry Matt, I don't agree with you on the taxi thing. If you are on an RC excursion, the ship will wait for you if you are held up in traffic. It's a YOYO thing with a taxi.....you're on your own!

Not in the case I this excursion. Risk doesn't provide the transportation, so it's essentially a beach break and you're responsible for getting to and from the ship. Thus, they won't wait for you if you're late.

Risk does NOT guarantee that the ship will wait for you. If you read the FAQs, they guarantee to return you to the ship. That means if the ship does leave, they'll get you back to it, but they never explicitly guarantee that the ship will wait for you. Often times they do wait, but there could be circumstances where they can't wait.

You are correct that a taxi on your own means it's up to you to get back in time, but I always budget a few hours to return.  I would never arrive any later than 2 hours before the all aboard time.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read that this excursion does not include transportation back to the ship?  So much for being covered in case something happens getting back to the port.

I was looking into this excursion as well.  They do take you back to the ship but will drop you off at Charlotte Amelie for shopping, dining etc. If you decide to stop at Charlotte Amelie then you will have to find your way back to the ship.