Rome - train and walk…

Johndad

If you’re looking for a total 6-7 hour trip from the cruise terminal at civitavecchia to Rome including 3-4 hours walk/ stops read on…

1. get Trenitalia app. There’s a slow train taking 80 minutes cost 5 euros per person, fast one taking 45 minutes cost 16 euros each way. 

2. shuttle bus to train station from the ship and very easy to find- can’t go wrong

3. get train to Rome terminali- central station

4. we did around a 4 mile route taking in… colisseum, forum, trajans column, Marco aurelio column, pantheon, plaza navone, across the river ponte umberto I, round st angelos castle, (you could add a mile and get to the Vatican/ St. Peter’s basilica.), back across ponte Cavour to the Spanish steps, Trevi fountain and back to the station. The route through the parc del colle oppio gives an amazing view over the coliseum and the forums. Best view of it in my opinion. 

5. we had a gelato by the pantheon, drink and pizza in plaza navone and had enough time at each place- a lot of them have signs giving history on English. 

6. this was enough for a fifteen year old boy - quotes of the day include 

I’m not interested in stuff do with a king from a hundred years ago. Two thousand years ago?! That’s even less relevant.

On the second victory column… whatever I said the first time again.

On the pantheon being a church…. They should stick a 4g pitch in it and make some proper money

We’re walking half a mile to see some steps?! 

Have fun! 

On 8/30/2022 at 3:44 AM, Johndad said:

If you’re looking for a total 6-7 hour trip from the cruise terminal at civitavecchia to Rome including 3-4 hours walk/ stops read on…

1. get Trenitalia app. There’s a slow train taking 80 minutes cost 5 euros per person, fast one taking 45 minutes cost 16 euros each way. 

2. shuttle bus to train station from the ship and very easy to find- can’t go wrong

3. get train to Rome terminali- central station

4. we did around a 4 mile route taking in… colisseum, forum, trajans column, Marco aurelio column, pantheon, plaza navone, across the river ponte umberto I, round st angelos castle, (you could add a mile and get to the Vatican/ St. Peter’s basilica.), back across ponte Cavour to the Spanish steps, Trevi fountain and back to the station. The route through the parc del colle oppio gives an amazing view over the coliseum and the forums. Best view of it in my opinion. 

5. we had a gelato by the pantheon, drink and pizza in plaza navone and had enough time at each place- a lot of them have signs giving history on English. 

6. this was enough for a fifteen year old boy - quotes of the day include 

I’m not interested in stuff do with a king from a hundred years ago. Two thousand years ago?! That’s even less relevant.

On the second victory column… whatever I said the first time again.

On the pantheon being a church…. They should stick a 4g pitch in it and make some proper money

We’re walking half a mile to see some steps?! 

Have fun! 

I had my 16 year old son with me over the summer for our WOS cruise.  All I can say is that I hope he looks back on the trip someday with appreciation.