xSAILEDx Harmony of the Seas - May 6, 2023 - May 13, 2023 (7 Night Western Caribbean & Perfect Day)

Hi, this will be the first cruise for me and my husband.  We have a friend who has been on 30 something cruises and RC is her favorite.  She has been on Harmony a few times and has all kinds of useful tips.  One third party she has used and knows the owners well is at this link Book Activities | Real Deal Roatan Tours | Honduras.  She highly recommends the Little French Key Tour.  I have booked this for us on day 4- Roatan.  They keep track of the cruises and have you back to the ship 2 hours prior to departure OR whenever you are ready to leave before that time.  Nice to meet everyone here and looking forward to cruising together!

I don't swim in the ocean anymore or in strange bodies of water because I've seen the Jaws and Piranha movies.  I cannot book 3rd party excursions because I have seen the Pier Runner videos on YouTube 🙂   But that is just me.  We are doing the eco park excursion on day 4.  Not something super long.  And if we decide not to get up for an 8:30am excursion, I won't care about losing the amount of money paid for it.  

I think I have mentioned it before, but I am not a fan of these excursion times.  I didn't go on vacation to have to set an alarm for o-dark o'clock in the morning.  It does make me want to rethink my 9am excursion on day 5.   The day 7 excursion technically starts at 8am, but I think I can go anytime I want.  Does it matter what time you show up for your over water cabana?  But I suspect for the amount of money I paid for it, I'll probably be there at 8am to get maximum value.  I assume we can have breakfast at the cabana.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your first cruise.  Cozumel is the best place for watching pier runners if the desire hits you.

One last thought -- everyone on the cruise coming from this site should meet up somewhere for a drink or something.  Would be nice to meet everyone.

@JonesyYes, I do have some fear of missing getting back to the ship.  I wouldn't have booked this 3rd party excursion had my friend not used the company multiple times without issue that's for sure!  She assured me that they track the cruise line and ship.  But ya know there is a first time for everything! 🙂  I have always said if something goes wrong probably happen to me.  I just can't let my fears keep me from missing something that could be wonderful either I guess.  I have seen Titanic and many airplane crash movies too, haahaa.  Knowing me I will probably ask them to take me back before their planned 2 hours before ship departure time lol.  I agree about early times to get up for ship excursions. I guess that's a choice we have to make regarding the ports.  I think one of the days, probably Cozumel, that we may get off the ship and shop inside the port area and then go back on the ship for lunch and to enjoy all the amenities on the ship the rest of the day.  I have been thinking that I pay all of this money to enjoy those too and want to have time for them.  Definitely need to all meet up some time! 

@DavnbetWhat you describe for Cozumel is usually what I do.  Most of the time I just stay in the port area, shop, and head back to the ship.  I've actually never been on a shore excursion before.  This will be my first time.  Technically I have 3 booked, but I just don't count a cabana as an excursion.  But even with that, I hadn't been on anything in previous sailings.  The idea just never seemed appealing to me.  I'm giving it a try this year.

I did see there was an unofficial excursion at one port to a butterfly farm.  That looked interesting but I think it was a bit of a ride, so I opted not to get it.

We are flying into Miami the day before.  Does anyone have a recommendation on a hotel that has good transport from the airport to the hotel and maybe from the hotel to the cruise port?  I have seen a few but of course they all have mixed reviews.  Or do many of you just use Uber or Lyft?  I'm mainly interested in clean, safe area, and the transport at a cheaper price for one night.  

1 hour ago, Davnbet said:

We are flying into Miami the day before.  Does anyone have a recommendation on a hotel that has good transport from the airport to the hotel and maybe from the hotel to the cruise port?  I have seen a few but of course they all have mixed reviews.  Or do many of you just use Uber or Lyft?  I'm mainly interested in clean, safe area, and the transport at a cheaper price for one night.  

We are staying at the Hampton Inn near the port.  Going to get a car service to the port.  It there were a few people from here staying at the same hotel, I could see about reserving a luxury shuttle to the port.  I have done it before.  Nice way to start the trip.

10 hours ago, Davnbet said:

We're staying at the RADISSON Red near the airport. It's supposed to have a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel. Me, personally, I don't use ride sharing. I prefer taxis, but I'm sure a ride sharing service could get you to the port, too. I think Radission RED has a stay-and-cruise booking where they'll provide a shuttle to the cruise port, but I didn't book that. i prefer getting my own ride and not having to wait for the hotel to provide.

Try a car service once. Not like Lyft/Uber, but one of the executive car services.  Yeah, it is more expensive than a shuttle or Lyft/Uber, but the luxury/personal service is just such a nice touch to add do your trip.  Or surprise a loved one by booking a meet & greet at the airport baggage claim and get the fancy ride to the hotel.  At least try it once in your life. 

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

Checked a few places & prices are double & triple the cost of the shuttle.  Not worth it for us.

You don't do it because it is a great value.  You do it to treat yourself because you deserve it 🙂   You may not get the same enjoyment out of it that I do. Gotta do what makes you happy.  Just don't get on the ship and count calories lol.

We have traditional.  I forget what the early time is.  Not that it will matter much because I think other than lobster night, we have dinner booked at specialty restaurants every night.  At most I think we'll be in the main dining room twice. But I think it is only once.  I wanted to see what the other restaurants had to offer.  The closest I got to dining at a specialty restaurant before was the sushi class 🙂

20 minutes ago, Pooch said:

We have MTD scheduled for 6:45 each night.  Some of us will be doing Izumi Sushi one night & we will probably go to CK a night or 2.

I think I have the names of the dining options messed up.  We have 5:30pm scheduled for dining -- whatever that is called.  We wanted early dining so it wouldn't conflict with show times.  

29 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

I think I have the names of the dining options messed up.  We have 5:30pm scheduled for dining -- whatever that is called.  We wanted early dining so it wouldn't conflict with show times.  

That is traditional dining.  We have My Time Dining but I’ve already made reservations for each night.  5:30 is too early for us and 8pm is too late.  MTD allows me to chose a better time for our cruise style.

13 hours ago, Pooch said:

That is traditional dining.  We have My Time Dining but I’ve already made reservations for each night.  5:30 is too early for us and 8pm is too late.  MTD allows me to chose a better time for our cruise style.

Yep, I appareciate there are options. I like traditional because I like having the same wait staff every night. Makes me feel special.

Frankly, I have done MTD on 2 pre and 2 post covid cruises and have always gotten the same table and waitstaff every night.  Additionally our wait times have been minimal, average none to 10 minutes.  All you gotta do is ask.  It is a misconception that only traditional dining allows you to have the same waitstaff.

17 hours ago, Pooch said:

Frankly, I have done MTD on 2 pre and 2 post covid cruises and have always gotten the same table and waitstaff every night.  Additionally our wait times have been minimal, average none to 10 minutes.  All you gotta do is ask.  It is a misconception that only traditional dining allows you to have the same waitstaff.

Fair enough!

23 hours ago, Pooch said:

I signed us up for MTD and didn't realize how soon you can reserve your time. So when I clicked to reserve the earliest time was 7 pm. I don't know what time the shows are but hoping not a conflict. I wonder if I should change to traditional once we board the ship. 

14 minutes ago, Davnbet said:

I signed us up for MTD and didn't realize how soon you can reserve your time. So when I clicked to reserve the earliest time was 7 pm. I don't know what time the shows are but hoping not a conflict. I wonder if I should change to traditional once we board the ship. 

II wouldn't wait to be in the ship. it's doable, but apparently not guaranteed that you can make the change. I'd contact your travel agent (if you have one) or maybe call Royal to change it beforehand if you want to move to Traditional.

4 hours ago, jordan meyers said:

We are down to just over 10 weeks left get excited. Me and my wife are going on this as our 1 year anniversary trip. We are both pretty excited as it will be both of our first cruises.

Welcome aboard.  Congrats on your first year.  We really need to do a RC Blog meetup on the ship.

On 2/21/2023 at 12:37 PM, jordan meyers said:

We are down to just over 10 weeks left get excited. Me and my wife are going on this as our 1 year anniversary trip. We are both pretty excited as it will be both of our first cruises.

Awesome! My husband and I are treating this as our 9 year anniversary. Definitely getting excited. Starting to watch cruise videos constantly again.

30 minutes ago, RCLblue10 said:

Hello ALL!  Just booked this cruise after sailing on Harmony in January.  Great time and crew so we are back.  Flying in to Fort Lauderdale on May 5.  Still looking at hotels.  We have never been to Mexico or Coca Cay so really excited.  Labadee was a fun and relaxing stop so I hope Coco Cay will be the same.  

Welcome to the cruise.  You are flying into FLL?  My least favorite airport in south Florida 🙂  How are you getting from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami?  If it were me, I'd go with Brightline.  But don't listen to me.  I'm a train enthusiast.   Getting a hotel now is not going to be fun.  I'm staying at the Hampton Inn (Miami Brickell Downtown) and right now it looks like rooms that night start at $487.

1 hour ago, RCLblue10 said:

Hello ALL!  Just booked this cruise after sailing on Harmony in January.  Great time and crew so we are back.  Flying in to Fort Lauderdale on May 5.  Still looking at hotels.  We have never been to Mexico or Coca Cay so really excited.  Labadee was a fun and relaxing stop so I hope Coco Cay will be the same.  

Welcome! We've actually taken the....bold decision to drive 16 hours from Northern KY to Miami to avoid the insane cost of airline tickets right now. Coco Cay is definitely a blast. The beaches are nice and the huge pool is fun.

On 2/21/2023 at 11:37 AM, jordan meyers said:

Happy Anniversary ❤️. This will be our first cruise as well. We are treating this as our anniversary gift even though it's end of March. It will be our 27th anniversary. 

16 hours ago, RCLblue10 said:

We are also flying into FLL.  I found the airport pretty easy coming & going.  We did this in October for our Explorer cruise out of Miami.  That time we stayed at the Springhill Suites in Dania Beach.  The hotel provides a shuttle from and to the airport.  We used SAS transportation to get to the port ($15 pp each way plus tip).  We are staying at the Holiday Inn FLL airport with the same transportation plans, $250ish?  I’m pretty sure the Miami Grand Prix is that weekend so hotels are more expensive than they were in October.

We are SWA rapid rewards members so our flights are essentially free ($11.20 each RT) but we paid the equivalent of $120 each way.  Flying into Miami is significantly more expensive.