Canada-New England Oct 2017

FManke

We're looking at taking a couple of excursions on our cruise this Oct. Halifax, NS or St. Johns, NB? Portland, ME or Bar Harbour, ME? Suggestion, please?

Thanks

Acadia National Parked in Maine. We did the trolley tour there.

St. John's is easy to do by rental car. We went to see the bay at low and high tide. There's a sea Cafe that you can walk into in the morning and then it is completely submerged by the afternoon.

In Halifax, we rented a car and drove to the Titanic Museum and Peggy's Cove and stored for lobster.

In Portland, we just walked around the city and had lobster and beer. My mother and brother did a bus tour to a resort town that they enjoyed.

We're looking at taking a couple of excursions on our cruise this Oct. Halifax, NS or St. Johns, NB?  Portland, ME or Bar Harbour, ME? Suggestion, please?

Thanks

I second DocLC's recommendation for Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor, ME. I went to college in Maine and Bar Harbor is a nice, very friendly town, and Acadia is gorgeous!

In Portland we did a lighthouse tour and loved it! Also tried a whoopie pie, and a lobster roll.

Bar Harbor we did another lighthouse tour (on a boat), lunch at Stewman's (a haddock sandwich which my wife, who doesn't eat fish, loved), then a bus tour into Acadia. The boat tour was fun, but I probably wouldn't do it again due to the length (loved it though!).

St. John we did a bus tour of some kind which was fun and informative, and took us to the reversing rapids. It dropped us off in town (optional I think) which gave us a nice walk through town back to the ship.

Halifax we did a bus tour to Peggy's Cove (probably my favorite stop of the cruise. Loved the cliche fishing village look, but most of all I couldn't stop staring at the lighthouse, knowing that if I headed out from that point I could head straight to Antarctica via the ocean. Mind blown for me.), then to the graveyard where a majority of the Titanic victims are buried.

Also tried a semi-local beer in 3 out of the 4 cities.

Overall a great cruise. It's on my "cruise-it-again" list.