Passport valid for at least 6 months?

We cruise on Quantum next week and while filling out all the onboarding stuff I noticed that they suggest a passport that is at least 6 months from expiring.  Here’s the question:

1. Are they saying they recommend a passport which MUST be at least 6 months from expiring, or…

2. They’re suggesting that it be 6 months from expiring, but that’s not a requirement?

My sons’ passports expire in 2 months and they don’t have government issues photo IDs.  If they are required to have a passport 6 months from expiring, I’ll need to run them to the DMV this week to get ID cards.  This is for a cruise to Alaska/Canada.

Thank you!

5DF7F30C-E9B4-4FD1-A3AB-E7FE97085175.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Julie.a said:

We cruise on Quantum next week and while filling out all the onboarding stuff I noticed that they suggest a passport that is at least 6 months from expiring.  Here’s the question:

1. Are they saying they suggest a passport which much be at least 6 months from expiring, or…

2. They’re suggesting that it be 6 months from expiring, but that’s not a requirement?

My sons’ passports expire in 2 months and they don’t have government issues photo IDs.  If they are required to have a passport 6 months from expiring, I’ll need to run them to the DMV this week to get ID cards.  This is for a cruise to Alaska/Canada.

Thank you!

5DF7F30C-E9B4-4FD1-A3AB-E7FE97085175.jpeg

2 - You will be OK with the passport.

Get them renewed when you get back.  Its easier to renew than start over.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/how-long-does-my-passport-need-to-be-valid-for

Q  How long after the cruise does my passport need to be valid for?

A   U.S. Citizen’s sailing with their U.S. Passport book must ensure that it is valid at least 6 months after your cruise

It looks like it's one of those things where it depends on who's checking at the terminal.  Would I want to take a chance of some butt head saying that it isn't valid long enough?  No.  I'd just get an new one to be safe.  

Each visiting country may have different rules on that.  I'd check the country's website to see what their requirements are.  However, the above is Royal's requirement and I wouldn't want to take a chance with being LUCKY or not.  Chances are, if you meet Royal's minimum requirements, you meet the requirements of the country's visiting.